What was the revolver used in "The Hitcher?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

In the movie "The Hitcher," actor C. Thomas Howell takes a revolver from an officer and points it at him, asking him to get out of his vehicle so he can go after Rutger Hauer. What was exact make, model, and specification of this revolver? Anyone know?

Hmmm I guess I'll have to rent that movie again and take a real close look... I think its probably one of the best looking revolvers I'd ever seen. It looks to be a large caliber revolver...like a 44 mag or 45 Colt or auto, with a short barrel, if I remember correctly... I've been looking in Gun Digest but nothing seems to match up...

This is an easy one. It is a maganaport custom 2" S&W 29 in .44 MAG . It was hard chromed and was converted to a round butt.
This exact model was on the cover of the first gun magazine I ever bought. Influenced me enough buy one of the original batch of Lew Horton 3" round butt 629's as my first handgun.

NJW

Thanks NJW! :-) I'll have to see if I can find any examples of it somewhere for purchase. Are you sure it wasn't a model 24/624 or 25/625? I want another revolver, and I think I want one of those. The other revolver I have is my hunting weapon (Dan Wesson model 40 357Max blued, slotted 8 3/8" barrel w/scope).

Sambonator,

I am pretty sure it was a 29. It could have been a 24 or 25 but I know Maganaport made them from 29's and they would be most common.
The 3" (little longer) S&W N frame is becoming very popular. I also have one in 45 ACP and want one of the new 3" 610's in 10mm. 3" 44 mags are easy to find now, S&W makes a few differnet versions.
The 2" verson required shortening the ejector rod and meant you couldn't fully eject the cases, you had to rely on some gravity. The 3" version has a full length rod that gives full ejection. For that reason, the 2" custom guns are few and far between. After S&W started offering 3" 44's from the factory, people stopped offering chop jobs.

NJW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back