What was that movie!?

cornered rat

I recall seeing a late 70s/early 80s film with some famous (DeNiro?) actor about Ireland in 1920s. The main character was a teenage girl who meets her long-lost father (who is organizing various anti-British activities) only to see British catch and shoot him. The father character has a broomhandle Mauser with a shoulder stock.
Can't recall the title, it was some coming of age story with the civil war overlaid on top of that. Anyone recall the title?

aahh...found my old post about it:

"I'd like to recomment a film called "The Dawning". I think it is from the early 90s. Stars Anthony Hopkins, though, ironically, he's not the best actor in it.

Shows the comical and the tragic sides of the early 1920 Ireland, right before their liberation war. Cameos by Webley 455, SMLE Mk3 and a "Broomhandle" Mauser. Very nicely done...not perfect, but well worth renting. Definitely NOT a formula movie...had no way of predicting how it would go."

And just founf this snippet on-line:

Ok...My favorite is in an Anthony Hopkins movie...The Dawning...in one scene he has
his shirt off and the young female heroine asks how he got all the huge scars on his back....in the next scene they are swimming and there are no scars!!!! Whoops!!!
Makeup!!!!

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited November 12, 1999).]

Back