What was he thinking?

mgulino

At Academy yesterday buying some reloading supplies and overheard a conversation at the gun counter. A young guy, twenty-something, was asking about handguns. He selected a semi-auto to handle and the counter guy handed it to him after clearing it. The young guy obviously had never handled a handgun. He muzzle swept me twice and could not close the action. He then asked the counter guy what concealed carry meant. I'm glad he handed the weapon back instead of making a purchase.

Is there a topic here, or is the point that you saw a guy who knew little about firearms asking to see a firearm?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mgulino
What was he thinking?
At Academy yesterday buying some reloading supplies and overheard a conversation at the gun counter. A young guy, twenty-something, was asking about handguns. He selected a semi-auto to handle and the counter guy handed it to him after clearing it. The young guy obviously had never handled a handgun. He muzzle swept me twice and could not close the action. He then asked the counter guy what concealed carry meant. I'm glad he handed the weapon back instead of making a purchase.

TunnelRat
Is there a topic here, or is the point that you saw a guy who knew little about firearms asking to see a firearm?

No, your right TunnelRat, just another look at the stupid guy post. We are/I am so much better than them. Let's spend sometime kicking around someone we know nothing about.

No opportunity taken to mention the problem in a polite way to maybe educate someone.

Makes people feel better about themselves.

To those people who actually believe that they have never inadvertently felony menaced someone or had trouble operating a firearm when they started out....yeh, keep telling yourself that, at least you’ll believe it.

I've seen range officers do this at big shoots while looking at someone's gun. I don't get too excited about someone in a store looking at a new gun that the clerk just took out from under the glass and racked the slide or opened the cylinder before handing it over to someone. In fact, posts like this aren't even pointing out anything unusual. Every single person who gets on here was new at some point and didn't start off knowing everything there is to know. I'd suggest that when you see something like this that you take a moment to make it a learning opportunity for both the potential customer and the store clerk to think about where the muzzle is pointed while looking....even when you know it's unloaded. I've seen accidental discharges of shotguns and handguns in club houses full of people over the years, and in one case someone was shot in the leg. Don't go off on a rookie in a safe environment, keep your eyes open in places where experienced (but stupid) people are handling guns. I spot an unsafe act just about every time I'm in a clubhouse where guns are being handled. I've been an NRA pistol instructor and was an RO for many years. Most gun owners aren't as knowledgeable as they think they are.

Somewhat related story also at academy. Dude walks over to gun counter with a gamo air rifle (which he took out of the box) and asked the clerk how to it works. Clerk couldn’t figure so I explain to them how to use a break barrel air rifle. Dude walks back to the air gun aisle...**POP**

Moral of the story is that Gamo....no matter how “silent” or “most quiet” they advertise the effectiveness of their suppressor...do not believe it!

Not saying you should have jumped in but these are the folks we WANT!!! So the guy was ignorant regarding firearms. Did you slice the pie when you popped out of the womb and clear the room???

We need to teach and guide folks even if we try not to call them idiots online because who knows maybe that dude is reading right now thinking what a buch of aholes why do I want to be a part of this world.

Not saying there are not true damn fools out there but not knowing any better is just waiting for learning to know better.

What was he thinking? He was probably thinking the same thing that most newcomers to any activity are thinking: He wants to learn more about firearms, hence the visit to a gun shop.

OP, you act like you’ve never been in a gun shop before. This kind of thing has happened almost every day at each of the three shops where I’ve worked, and we always have tried to help start each person like this on a path to learning more. Just like with any other potentially dangerous activity, those of us who are more experienced with firearms should try to help people who aren’t.

Based on what I’ve witnessed at big box sporting goods & camping equipment stores such as Cabelas and Academy Sports, places which also happen to sell firearms, the folks selling ladies sneakers and sleeping bags one day can wind up behind the firearms counter on another day.

I’ve seen customers trying to buy firearms who through no fault of their own were so uninformed about the basic manual of arms for what they were looking at, that I felt compelled to tell them to please hold off & enroll in a basic firearms safety course before buying their first firearm.

However if you are an employee of the big box sporting goods store, your marching orders are to move the merch. If you have a customer with a credit card who passes the instacheck, you need to push that Taurus or Hi Point on whoever can buy it.

Respect for guns is not taught in schools & probably never will be. So as responsible gun owners it is our job to educate those that are curious about guns not call them stupid.
No one came out of the womb knowing everything about guns. Some of us were lucky & had a parent or relative to teach us about guns. I was one of those lacking in gun knowledge but I know how to learn things that are not taught, others don't.
I would rather see a young person talk to some gun owners to learn about guns than let them learn from the anti-gunner left, that only wants to take away their gun rights.

I did not call the guy stupid or idiotic. I just walked away shaking my head.
The Academy employee didn't mention anything concerning safety. I wasn't too concerned because I knew he had cleared the weapon before handing it over. I was amazed at his question concerning concealment. Seems that is an easy one to answer yourself with a bit of online research. Every state's laws are posted online somewhere.
In hindsight, I probably should have approached the guy when he was done at the counter and offered some unasked-for advice. Maybe take a class or visit a range and rent a few pistols to find a model/caliber he likes.

I was amazed at his question concerning concealment. Seems that is an easy one to answer yourself with a bit of online research. Every state's laws are posted online somewhere.

So big issue here is that a neophyte opted to verbally asked for insight instead of doing online research first? Why the knowledge shaming for a guy who is obviously a neophyte? Is asking a question no longer allowed if the information if available on the internet. Just curious. If so, I didn't get the memo.

To those people who actually believe that they have never inadvertently felony menaced someone or had trouble operating a firearm when they started out....yeh, keep telling yourself that, at least you’ll believe it.
I know what you mean. I have senior moments at times. I have built/assembled from bare parts over 50 ARs. Was armourer for the SWAT team before I retired. Today while shooting an Ar, I pressed the bolt release 4 times trying to get the magazine out. I guess I figured if I pressed the wrong button hard enough it would eventually do what I wanted. The bolt slamming shut should have been a clue.

This is why most weapons enthusiasts are seen as jackasses by the general public.

You know whats worse than the uneducated newbie at a gun store? The guy that thinks he's educated and gives everyone his unsolicited opinion. I've walked out of more than one store as a result.

Once upon a time at the gun shop, a gentleman purchasing a Mossberg 500 asked if it came with a clip.

It doesn't; it has a fixed tube magazine. This was before the box mag version was available.

The clerk stated that it was actually built into the gun, and went to get a snap cap to demonstrate correct operation of the shotgun.

That was an ideal response to a seemingly ignorant question, as far as things go.

What was he thinking?

This is not a case of "ignorance is no excuse" but one of "forgive them, for they know not what they do".

I'd be curious as to how many things the OP is ignorant or uneducated on. While everybody is good at something, there's no one good at everything(well....except for some folks on gun forums).

As for the statement...
I'm glad he handed the weapon back instead of making a purchase.
I have to ask why? Do you automatically think the guy was gonna buy a box of ammo and start shooting, right there in the store? Maybe, he was aware of his ignorance and was going to ask about training right after he got his answer to the CWC question. We as gun folks, should be happy to see non-gun folks interested in getting involved in the shooting sports. We should not chastise and belittle those folks and their lack of knowledge, but be thoughtful and helpful, doing it with courtesy and respect. Over the years, I've seen way too many folks wanting to get into a new endeavor, only to be driven away by fatheads ridiculing them instead of guiding them.

I always get amazed at how upset folks get when being swept by a gun, they know is obviously empty and safe, while standing at a crowded gun counter. I help teach gun safety classes and I find it difficult at best to do it myself without taking the muzzle off the ceiling or the floor.......and I constantly preach muzzle control. I hesitate to even think about the amount of times I'm swept by empty guns at the Clays course or shooting range.

The guy was obviously new to the sport and obviously looking for help. There was a chance to be a mentor and a positive memory, if one presented themselves in the proper manner. Unfortunately in scenarios such as in the OP, way too many times chest pounding, inflated egos and impatience get in the way. Just like in the OP, folks many times are quicker to try and impress others as to their superior knowledge, than take the time to sincerely help.

Back