What Unusual, different and Intersting Semiautonatic Pistols

Hard Ball

What unusual, different and interestingsemiautomatic (or selectve fire) have you shot? Really different weapons which are not normally encountered in the United States.

When I've lived in the USSR, I shot MC-2 (Pistolet Margolina). It's .22LR, DA/SA, 6 rounder,
target semi-auto with adjustable sights. Looks a bit
like Walter P-38, but much more atractive and refined.
Fit and finish of this MC-2 was exceptional. SA trigger
was adjustable, and it had threaded barrel for muzzle compensator, if I recall it correctly.

I would gladly pay $500-600 to get it here in the USA.

Well, not really a "pistol", but...about 25 years ago, a "shooting buddy" rolls up to our improvised range in the Everglades, pops the "hood" on his VW bug, and pulls out a German MP-38 SUBMACHINEGUN!!! Had three or four original mags...shot several "clipfuls"--a REAL BLAST, BTW--, and he put it away...never saw it again, and he wouldn't say ANYTHING about it...my guess is that it was a "War Trophy" and belonged to his Dad or one of his uncles...who PROBABLY didn't know he'd brought it shooting with us that day!!!....mikey357

In four years of service, I was allowed once to fire a barrel bundle for the H&K P11 special applications pistol we had in our armory. The ammo was so expensive that those weapons almost never got fired in practice. Each barrel bundle was sealed and had to be sent to HK for reloading after use. How's that for exotic? :) The P11, for those not familiar with it, is a "silent" underwater pistol which fires steel darts from a five-shot barrel bundle. It looks like a G3/HK91 grip assembly on steroids mated with a pepperbox.

Hum...

Probably the most unusual was a Webley Fosberry Automatic Revolver.

Weird is the best way to describe the experience.

Of course, there was also the AMT product that was extremely reliable. That's extremely unusual.

Whe I was stationed in Germany, one of the locals had a .44Automag. I ran a clip through the pistol. Not bad at all, just big!

Giz

Giz,

Forgot the .357 Automag I got to shoot.

Guy at the range where I worked had it. He let me shoot a couple of rounds and even gave me a cartridge for my collection.

Nice guy.

Funny taste in guns. :)

Before enlisting in the Marine Corps, I went to my friend's house in Maine and his dad brought out a WWI Luger which my friend's grandfather had been presented upon being promoted to colonel in the British Army. It was taken from a captured German (obviously) and had the Kaiser's crest and "1917" to my recollection stamped on it. He only shot Spanish military 9mm because he said the loads seemed to be made for the gun, not one misfire in a few hundred rounds.

After enlisting, I got to shoot the M40A1 sniper rifle, as well as an M-60E3 (POS), Mark 19, and M-203 in addition to the M-16A2, but that should be for another forum perhaps...

Mauser C-96 and French 1935A

I have a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle that I shoot occasionally. Its a blast and its in 9MM, so the ammo is cheap. Very interesting and historical firearm. Also have a 1935A in 32 French Long (7.65 MAS). A Browning based gun, but different and unusual caliber.

Pilot

The Iver Johnson (or Universal) ENFORCER: I wish I had one now... I carried one for a year as I walked and worked in the Everglades area. It was really just a .30 carbine made into a pistol. Great, accurate, reliable and of course took any of the carbine magazines!!!! I lust for one again.

I carried it, all the time, in a soft and loose scabard tied to the right arm post of my framed backpack. I also had a belt holster for it but it was likely to get muddy where I was so the back holster was my choice.

Nothing like 25 to 30 rounds of .357 power with cheap surplus ammo and CHEAP magazines.

Jody

Oops - Pilot made me remember

I almost forgot my French 1935S, which is a later version of Pilot's pistol. Excellent shooter, EXPENSIVE ammo...

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

They have become fairly common and popular amongst military surplus shooters and collectors in the last couple of years. I'm referring to the Russian 1895 Nagant revolver that has a cylinder that moves forward after it has rotated. This to insert the mouth of the cartridge case into the end of the barrel so that there is no gas leakage and theoretically a higher velocity.

Opps! it's not a semiauto, but it is unusual.

As I sit here adding rounds to the stripper clips, I'd have to throw an honorable mention to that oddity called the 1912 Steyr-Hahn. Not a bad gun to shoot, although the grip angle will make you print low until you're used to it. I was so tickled when Winchester came out with with 9x23 brass, because now my M1912 has been seeing the light of day more in the last couple years than it had for a LONG time earlier. The neat thing is the 9mm Luger dies in the Dillon SDB work just fine for 9mm Steyr, just change the crimp and bullet seating depth.

Swedish L40 Lahti. Not exactly rare, but I've never seen anyone else shooting one. .30 Luger. Again, not unheard of, but mine is the only one I've seen in action. Although not an auto, I've put 50 rounds through a Japanese Type 26 revolver. Ammo is almost a buck a round, so I made my own from .38 Super brass.

A friend owns a converted G17L that has the G18 selector.
It's a blast to shoot. Hard to control, though, even if you lean into the gun hard.

Hey Lendringser, I'm jealous...

Not to many civilian`s i know has ever seen or heard of a Mark 19,full-auto 40mm granade launcher,belt feed,very accurate out to about 1800 meters,I fired about 180 rds during the gulf war,during a night attack.

Nothing unusual nowadays, but in 1980, I shot one of the then-very few CZ75s in the USA. Original Czech mfg pistol, which had "informally" been brought in through Canada.

Later the same year, shot the original prototype Bren Ten when Dixon and Dornaus took it to the IPSC National Matches in Newport News, VA. That was when it was THE only copy out. Still pretty unusual, but some did come into general circulation a couple of years later.

One of the first "Red 9" broomhandle Mauser pistols to be brought in from China. Again, these became fairly common later on. This particular weapon was in poor shape and did not shoot my 9 mm ammo reliably.

All "my" unusual auto pistols later became fairly usual, but, at the time, I was pretty impressed.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

Uh, RickB, a Swedish Lahti? Mr. Lahti was a Finnish gun designer. Are you sure the gun isn't Finnish?

I'm not sure if my experiences count, as I'm not in the U.S...? Anyway, only "unusual" handgun I've fired was the FN-80 in the Army. Nothing to write home about.

Hi, Tony,

The Lahti was used by both Finland and Sweden. The guns are a bit different, but basically the same. Sweden adopted the Lahti as their Model 1940 when the supply of their Model 1939 (Walther HP) was cut off by German demands on the Walther factory for P.38 production.

Jim

Back