What type of tape to protect bore from plugging with?

Which type of tape will have the least effect on the bullet, for those that put a piece of tape over the muzzle when hunting, to keep out water, snow, and mud?

-Electrical tape

-Cloth tape (hockey tape)

-Duct tape

-or "other"?

Thanks.

I've used electrical tape before.

I like those little finger condoms called "cots". 50 in a box cost like $3 and last for several seasons and do not leave residue.

Black plastic electrical tape works just fine. Before the bullet can exit from the barrel, all the air ahead of it, as well as some gases that bypass the bullet, must escape first. Any tape will be blown away long before the bullet gets there. There is zero effect on the bullet. Leave about an inch and a half of tape down each side of the barrel and you will have extra tape to redo the muzzle after shooting. I shot a moose at 370 yards this month. The tape did nothing to save his hide. Taping is especially important for muzzle loaders and hunting in the snow.

Plain old black electrical tape, sticks just fine rain or shine. I even usually wrap a length or sor around the muzzle for a replacement in case one gets used or lost. And I carry a roll of black tape in my fanny pack, way more useful than duct tape.

And I carry a roll of black tape in my fanny pack, way more useful than duct tape

Well I like electrical tape and use it on my muzzle as well--but let's not get crazy. Duct tape is clearly more useful...

I shot a few 200 yd groups years ago with electrical and duct tape on my muzzle. Compared them with groups shot with a bare muzzle and couldn't see any difference at all.

I use black electrical tape with some spare on the barrel. I don't think it matters much. If I were to run across some finger cots would try them. Who knows they might be better, but I HAVE electrical tape on hand and and I know it works.

I know some guys who use blue painters tape. It comes off easily with no residue if that is a concern.

I'd say, if anything, shotgun would be safer than a rifle because many rifle cartridges operate at 60K+ PSI while the SAAMI max for a 3 1/2'' 12GA shotgun is 14,000PSI. I'd rather be shooting the lower pressure cartridge if there's going to be a minor obstruction at the end of the muzzle.

Also the larger muzzle diameter of the shotgun would likely mean the tape would break sooner than a smaller bore rifle.

3M's 33 electrical tape works fine for me.

Got hold on some 1" wide tape and used that up.
keeps rain out when in inclement weather.

Electrical tape works well, as long as it is:
A) quality tape (I prefer 3M).
B) not too cold out (in temps below freezing, the tape may not adhere well).
C) kept dry. If you get any water under the tape, it's likely to slowly unravel and come off.

For that reason, I prefer:
Water balloons for typical barrels.
Party balloons for large barrels and/or muzzle brakes.

They're a little more fragile, but you can keep half a dozen in your pocket without taking up any room. I think I've only ever had two balloons get cut in the field - one when the muzzle slid down a rough tree trunk during a bladder draining session, the other when a branch punctured the balloon between baffles on a large .45 cal muzzle brake.

(I turn my balloons inside-out when I put them on, to keep the abrasive powder from getting inside the barrel, chamber, and action. -It's generally talc or powdered granite.)

Learn something new every day. I have never even considered using anything to protect the end of my rifle/shotgun barrels. How common is this?

Small green balloons

Find them in the birthday party section of Wal Mart.

Cheap. Easy to "install". Color correct for hunting. Rain proof. Dust proof. Freeze proof. No worry about adhesive strength.

As for creating a "small obstruction" on the end of a barrel, whether shotgun or rifle, it doesn't happen. Why not? Because the column of air inside the barrel is compressed rapidly as the bullet/shot charge leaves the chamber and travels toward the muzzle, causing the "obstruction" to pop off the end of the muzzle before the bullet/shot charge arrives. The same way a cork pops out of the muzzle of a cork gun (child's toy).;)

Last edited:
Most any kind of cloth tape will hold water.

Rust is the enemy.

Moisture is the friend of Rust.

The friend of my enemy is my __________.

Don't give your enemy a place to hang around, if you don't have to.....

I've never used any tape .... if it's raining and I am hunting, then the gun gets carried or slung muzzle down......

Back