What type of competitions can I shoot?

dakota.potts

So this came up in another thread. I have a CZ 75 BD police in 9mm. It is double action/ single action with decocker and no safety. 16 round magazine though I think there are some 18 rounders that don't extend below the base.

So what kinds of competitions can I start shooting? I think it'll be a lot of fun and good experience. I want to start with pistol shooting since that's what I have now but when I get money for a rifle and shotgun (and ammo) 2 and 3 gun will be a goal as well.

gun-brudda fromanudda gun-maker-mudda

Using my CZ-clone Tanfoglio, I shoot USPSA.
I shot some IDPA, but it withered and died around my area.

Might I suggest investigating your local options here? www.uspsa.org

(okay, I also use or have used Glocks and 1911s and GP100s and Redhawks and an STI once, in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Special, 38 Super, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, 10mm, 41 AE, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt)

As WESHOOT2 said there's USPSA or IDPA, you can also shoot both types of steel games (reactive and bang&clang) also you might find some action pistol matches to compete in.

I don't know where you are located at but in Iowa about mid summer there will be a good steel match called the Big Dawg Steel match.
Do a computer search for it as I believe they still have a web site.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

You didn't say where you are, if you location was given maybe we could give you some ideas of matches in your area.

For example, you forum name is Dakota.Potts, if that means you are in South Dakota, they have some sort of pistol match every other Sunday in Spearfish SD.

It that's the case let me know and I'll post a program with the list of matches.

Don't forget about Bullseye, it's not an ideal Bullseye gun but I know some guys who do pretty well with a 4" barrel, and the discipline of holding the sight picture through slow, timed and rapid fire (one handed) will certainly make you a better shooter.

Some clubs still have bowling pin matches, which was my start in competition shooting almost twenty years ago, but I think they've mostly been replace by the steel plate matches.

Sorry, guys. I wasn't sure at first if it was good to put my location in my profile but it seems like that's a good thing to do. I'm located in Northeast Florida. My range does matches every 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month so I'll see what they do.

To be clear, all of the above listed can be done with a double/single action gun?

I will sometimes shoot IDPA with my 40S&W Baby Eagle, which is based on the CZ pistol. Your CZ will work fine for IDPA since the pistol division capacity is 1 in the chamber and 10 in the magazines. You will need at least 3 magazines to shoot IDPA, along with a holster, mag carrier and cover garment.

Back