What type of 1898 Springfield Krag do I have?

Vanguard.45

Soooo,

I recently came across an 1898 Springfield Krag bolt action rifle with nickel plating and a 27-inch barrel. The rifle has all of the proper cartouches/ markings and was manufactured in January of 1902. The rifle is within 18,000 serial numbers of the famed 26-inch Board of Ordnance and Fortifications Rifle.

20220426-145810.jpg

20220426-145815.jpg

20220426-145837.jpg

Muzzle is not crowned. Firing pin appears intact and there is some indication that it has been fired since being nickel plated.

Any idea on what types of these rifles were nickel plated and what sort of value would be placed on such a rifle? Was it a parade rifle, or a rifle used for funerals? Would such rifles have had their barrels cut down to 27 inches?

Thanks,

Vanguard.45

Last edited:
I have a similar 1898 krag with a SN in the 188XXX range, I believe last time I checked it was made in 1899. I think i paid $500 for it a few years ago, and its in excellent condition.

To the best of my knowledge, no krags were arsenal nickel plated. Yours was most likely refinished to be a parade / color guard rifle at some point. It sure is pretty, but the collector value would be diminished by the nickel plating and the refinished stock.

as an aside , My local ROTC cadets have several 1903 A3s that were chromed just for color guard. They literally sparkle in parades on campus.

Collector value would be diminished if the collector is looking for a service grade rifle. Don't know if anyone collects drill/color guard rifle, but someone might.

They are more scarce than service rifles, after all, comparitively speaking only a handful were redone for that use.

Might be worth more than a standard rifle, to the right collector, you just gotta find one...:D

Make sure that (if a ceremonial rifle) it is still functional and not de-mil'd and/or plugged. ;)
(But you already have..... :D

It is drill rifle commonly used for ceremonial purposes like funerals and parades. The barrel has been cut down and combined with the chrome, it will have a rather limited desirability amongst collectors. It's quite attractive and I have no idea of what it may be worth.

These were sometimes used for firing blank salutes at graveside funerals, and the bores can be rusted from black-powder blanks.

Back