what to put on other side of shoulder rig?

navaho

Just for fun, I'm thinking about getting a 1970's style shoulder holster (Galco Miami Classic or Jackass style), for a pre-sellout S&W 686 6" revolver.

What should I do to balance the other side? (ie, I won't have extra magazines as a counterweight). And I'm trying to avoid tie-down straps and uncool looking stuff like that.

Since revolvers used to rule the cop world, I'm sure SOMEONE has a solution for this. Care to clue me in?

Thanks!

Ammo is a good choice. Speed loaders can be bulky but a couple of dump pouches or say 4 speed strips might be neat. You can also have a knife sheath made, but be sure to consider the laws of your area. In Texas we can carry a fixed bladed knife up to 5.5 inches and still be legal so the Russell Sting and Gerber boot knives are popular. Also the Cold Steel SRK and Tanto.

I carried a set of cuffs on the other side when I used to carry my 2.5" M-19 in a Jackass rig. That was in the good old days before semi's took over the cop world.

The best thing thing

The best thing I can suggest is a BHP with a 17 rd mag. That is 18 rounds backup with no reloading.

shoulder holster anti-listing devices...

I'm with JohnK007-cuffs and speedloaders-although I could also make a good argument for a J-frame on the other side.

Whatever floats your boat will work, although I would draw the line at a can of Campbell's soup.

Frankly, the 6" will carry very uncomfortably. Best advice is auto or 3" wheel.
My 4" Security Six poked a hole through my jacket while wearing my (original) Jackass rig.

For best balance mount twin gun on 'weak' side. (Ask me why I own matching pairs of pistols.)(No, don't.)

I like the idea of carrying cuffs on the opposite side.

WESHOOT2:
Interesting point you make about the 6" being too long....
How'd your 4" poke a hole through your jacket? Did the muzzle poke through the back?

Thanks.

----
BTW, it turns out neither of the older model rigs (Jackass and Miami Classic) will work for a 6". Instead, Galco's web site (http://www.galcoholsters.com) recommends their "Explorer Vertical Holster Component", whic holds the gun vertical (muzzle down). Somehow that just doesn't seem as "cool" as the original style. Oh well.

Riding motorcycles.

Went to a movie one night, was getting WAY too many stares. Went to restroom, was exiting when caught reflection in mirror. There, bigger than $hit, was the muzzle of my stainless Security Six!
Went to cross-draw behind hip; very fast weak-hand, and still accessible to strong hand. (Suprised a BG once with that speedy left-handed draw LOL!)

Seriously, suggest matching gun, or additional ammunition carry. Cuffs can join ammo carrier.

ideally another L-frame would balance perfectly and give the quickest "reload" in a revolver... i think the 6" might be a bit long for the slanted carry, the alessi vertical swivel is probably the best carry rig for a long barrel...works great for the 8.375" m-27 and 6" python

my 2nd choice would be gothic's sub-hilt fighter

Okay, I give up: what in the world is a "sub-hilt fighter"?

---

BTW, has anyone ever seen a cell phone/OC pouch that would attach to the offside of a shoulder holster rig?

Sub Hilt

I think it's got a second guard that's placed between your forefinger and middle finger when you grip the hilt.

To balance out a shoulder harness, how bout a harness that holds three cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon? It won't taste any worse once it gets warm, and a thrown 12 oz can of beer would make one hell of a non lethal missle weapon.

navaho - a sub-hilt fighter is a modification of the classic battle blade, the bowie. picture a 7" bowie with the lower tang of the handguard curving backward to protect the fingers. then there is a 2nd guard, lower only, curving forward (but not touching the front guard) that fits between the index and middle fingers.

the sub-hilt (2nd guard) is to assist in withdrawing:o the blade when you get it stuck between the guys ribs, that'll teach you to stab with a slashing blade:D. it restricts your grip options, but very popular BG look:p

Hello,

Order yourself a shoulder holster from Sam Andrews and have him mount a triple speedloader pouch that holds the loaders horizontally. It works really well under a light windbreaker. Mine also carries a sheath behind the loaders for a John Greco Mid Sized Tactical (MST) fighting knife.

- Anthony

Back