What to look for in a used Wingmaster

AFK

Well, I just sold a gun that I never use anymore and I want to pick up a used Wingmaster to replace it. There is gun show in my area this weekend and I'm planning on going. I am not a hunter so it will be used to knock around the sporting clays course. I have a Beretta over under that I use, but I love taking a few turns with my brother-in-laws pump (Winchester SXP). I also want something that has a lot of parts available for it, i.e home defense barrels and stocks, and different barrels if I ever do hunt with it, though doubtful.

So what are some things to keep an eye out for? I have not shouldered one yet, and if it doesn't seem to fit me well, I will pass and look at some other brands. But, if it feels like my wife's 20 ga. standard frame 1100, I know I will love it.

I don't mind refinishing the stock, as I have done it on my wife's gun, and found it to be quite fun.

I was thinking about a 20 gauge with 28" barrel, VR or not doesn't matter to me. Maybe a fixed mod barrel to start.

Any suggestions?

Also, I could buy a new one with the money from the other gun, but I keep reading that the new Wingmasters don't compare to the old ones.

Before you go to the gunshow pull up the 20ga Wingmasters on gunbroker to see what the "going rate" is.

I am doing this with 12ga 30" barrels myself right now. I found one local to me that is a little high compared to gb pricing, even allowing for cross country shipping - but the local one comes with a five day shoot it till you break it money back inspection period, standard terms on gb are three days non firing.

I have read that the chrome plated loading doors sugget a bit higher standard of metal work than the later blued doors, but the general concensus is if it says Wingmaster ont he outside its a great gun on the inside.

Looking forward to more knowledgable responses.

The older the year model, the better the manufacturing quality will be. They began making them in 1951.

Note- The older 20 gauge guns used the same size receiver and magazine tube as their 12 gauge models. Later models used a reduced size for those parts. I can't remember what year that changed.

My 20 gauge Wingmaster is from the 1950's. I think mine is a 1953 but I might be off a year or two since I don't have my files here with me. It has the large receiver. It has a super smooth action.

Last edited:
Back