What to look for in a used rifle?

Ldoll

I have a chance to purchase a used Rem. 700 PSS from a local gun dealer's own arsenal. Where I live it is too hard to get a new one of these because of their limited qaunities(sp?). He said he only put about 60 rounds through it. I know that if the muzzle crown is scratched there is a good chance that it is not as accurate as it should be. I didn't have a chance to look at it yet, but he said if I am interested, he'll bring it in.

Also, he said it is one of the earlier models. Is there a difference between the older and newer ones? Appreciate the help.

------------------

L.D.

If there are no dings or scratches on the muzzle, and the bore looks good--no pits or visible scratches (unlikely on a low-mileage critter)--the rest is up to your notion of the "feel" of the gun.

Dings on the stock, or scratches on the barrel or action, are just talking points on the money.

Don't know about early vs. newer...

FWIW, Art

Ldoll,

Esp. since he's a dealer, see if he'll do a guarantee. Nothing along the lines of "it kicks too much" but something honest the two of you can shake on. & ditto on Art's "scratches" = talk 'em down a bit.

Nothing the matter with a used rifle - every one is once you start firing it. & too, since private stock, it may not have any paperwork to go with the deal - if you catch my drift.

Back