What to look for if buying a Colt Police Postive .38

Adventurer_96

I'm thinking of buying a Colt Police Positive .38, 4" bbl from the local gun dealer, it seems like I could get it for about $220 out the door. The bluing is in good shape, and from what I can figure out the cylinder seems to be rather tight and the trigger pull isn't bad.

What specifics should I look for in this gun? I love .38 revolvers and this would be a nice CCW or glovebox gun.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Same as any other revolver. Check out barrel-cylinder gap, lockup, and cylinder end shake. If side plate screws look messed up or sideplate shows having been removed, I would pass. Note that if cocked slowly, Colts will not fully lock up until the trigger is pulled. This is in the design, and not an area of concern, as long as the cylinder does lock when the trigger is pulled.

Jim

If it is a Colt Police Postive .38 it is chambered for .38 S&W. If so I would pass for your intended use. If it is a Colt Police Postive Special .38 which is chambered for the .38 Special cartridge it sounds like a very good buy.

Colt PP

I'm wondering if you're located in the Sacramento area. Old Sacramento Armory on J Street has just received a large number of ex-Colombian police Colt Police Positive revolvers chambered in .38 Special. They're being sold for $189, or about $220 out the door (after the waiting period and associated legal mumbo-jumbo, that is).

I just bought one. It's got a very nice trigger pull and seems to lock up tight, with the bolt clicking in just before the hammer releases. It's got a decent finish with some holster wear near the muzzle. I have not yet shot it, but plan to do so very soon.

I put a thread out on the Colt PP several weeks ago and was advised to use only standard pressure ammo through it (no +Ps). It'll be loaded with standard pressure Winchester Silvertips for defense work. Another guy was suggesting the use of Nyclads for the same purpose.

We'll see how it goes after I shoot it....

Thanks for the responses, I really should have checked it out better before posting as I may have had more specific questions.

I'm not in California (Kalifornia?) and I don't know the history of this gun, but it's one of the few revolvers in this particular shop.

I think I may end up waiting, and going to find a .38 with the wife which fits her well. Unless, of course, he makes me a deal I can't refuse...

The dealer has it listed as ".38 Special" on the price tag, but when I asked to look at it closely today to make sure it was .38 Spl, the guy behind the counter looked at me like I was a dunce and said, "Yeah, .38 is .38 Special. This gun is made by COLT, not Smith & Wesson..." I may not be the smartest guy on the planet when it comes to revolvers, but I'm not THAT stupid, although apparently he is. I told him that I wanted to see if it was chambered for .38 Spl vs. .38S&W, which is what prompted his remark. I had to point out the box of .38S&W on the counter behind him to prove that yes there was a difference.

(cutting to the chase...)

The left side of the barrel had markings to this effect:

Police
Colt Positive .38

But I didn't see anything indicating what .38, if that's the right way of saying it. The cylinder seemed tight, and even though it is obviously old with some sleight wear on the bluing, it is in decent shape overall IMHO.

Aside from the fact that I don't want to necessarily support a shop that would hire a guy like this necessarily, I am interested in it if it's a .38Spl. How can I tell for sure, since these guys would probably tell me it's a .380 if they thought I'd buy it.

Thanks!

It is a .38S&W

Even thought the clerk had no idea what I was saying, I ended up having to bring in an empty .38Spl casing to prove that it didn't fit in the gun. It's remarked now as a .38S&W but it still is priced at $243. Too much for what I want it for!

You want to be VERY careful when checking the calibers of the Colt Police Positive in 38. Some of the 38 specials were makred Police Positive Special AND SOME ARE NOT. If the gun is marked "38DA" It is probably the 38 Long Colt as it was also made in this caliber.

The 38Spl will chamber in fire in most 38 S&W BUT WILL OVEREXPAND AND POSSIBLY RUPTURE @VERY DANGEROUS@. The 38 Spl will also chamber in some 38Long Colts. No problem with light loads, but a heavy or +P load COULD destroy the gun. If the 38 long colt is counterbored, then the 38spl will be too long for it.

My father had a colt in 38DA. Always thought it was a special, till I locked it up one day with a round for my
10-6 and had to have a gunsmith fix it. Also found out it WOULD chamber a 357 magnum. The colt 38's have to be checked VERY carefully if an older gun to be sure you have the right caliber. The later ones all tended to be 38 specials.

Don't know where you are or what gunshop had a clerk that slow, but is one to avoid.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!

If the caliber is marked "38 New Police" it's a 38 S&W. The 32 S&W Long and the 38 S&W were both marked 32 or 38 New Police by Colt on the barrel and loaded to the same as S&W ballistics, but with a wide metplat ( flat spot on the bullet nose, as in a truncated cone ) instead of a rounded nose. Why the ammo companies put up with this I don't know.

joker.gif
Rusty

What would a good price be for one that is still brand new? A friend just found it, all it needs is a good clean job and some TLC.

Back