What to hunt now?

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Deer season is closed. Turkey season won't open for a couple of weeks. I've got about three days off-time to go hunt hogs and coyotes!

Well, things arent going to well for me. I bagged a deer opening day and since then i have ate every last morsel of meat. Now i need to wait for what will feel like an eternity to get another deer and taste that delicious meat. Why cant all states have a special deer season half way through the year for all the hunters that already ate all their deer meat and need more. well just an idea

Well, I saw no hogs and no coyotes though they were howling throughout the night. I did see a flock of about thirty turkeys yesterday. This morning I saw more deer in two hours than I saw throughout the deer season. Come turkey season, I'll probably be wading through hogs, deer, and coyotes.

I have all the leftover useless stuff from a big store-bought turkey in the fridge. It's gonna help me finish off the feral cats around the farm!!

ERRainman

Spartacus: If there is any small cafe around your town where you are a fairly regular customer, you might check to see if you can get their food scraps. Take your own garbage can with liner, to make life easier for them.

Makes great bait, to put out in a clearing and you sit in a tree stand not far off. No telling what will show up!

:), Art

hunting in SC

you guys should move to SC.
deer hunting from sept 15-dec 31
10 deer limit + 5 doe tags.
my freezer wont be empty of venison till around august.

How about polar bear (with a SPEAR!?!?)

I'm reminded of something that was in the news here in Canada recently. An Inuit man (what some people call Eskimos), has gone to court to force the government to allow him to hunt a polar bear in "his people's traditional manner", ie. a dog pack and a *%$#ing SPEAR. My first impression was "I hope he's got a lot of dogs to lose, AND has a bunch of guys with 870s to back him up." On the other hand, if he wants to commit suicide, why should I care? He'd probably make a lot of money on the film rights if he manages to pull it off, though.

Am I not lucky.

Over here (Harrismith South Africa) some farmer imported Fallow Deer (from England)in the 1920's for his personal hunting. He let them escape and now they are basically declared pests and vermin.

Basically I can keep the freezer full the whole year round & dont worry about seasons. Just speak to the right farmer and if the price is right he takes us out with pleasure and no limit.

Costs us about R400 or about $50 per animal.

Down here (South Louisiana) about this time of year the snakes are coming out for the summer. Take a cruise in the swamps or in the Atchafalaya River Basin and there are millions (literally) of them. A .22 rimfire is a great way to thin em out. Some days its almost impossible to tie up under some cypress trees to fish because one of the unwanted "guests" will drop from a limb into the boat with you! Makes for an interesting occurance.

Dave H: In Texas, Axis deer are uncontrolled as to season or bag limit.

A friend of mine, who has had a checkered history as to observing game laws, moved to an area where the Axis deer are plentiful. He allowed as how it was nice to be able to shoot a deer any time of year, day or night. (For all the talk, I think he collects maybe one or two a year, at most.) He commented, "I probably oughta lay down alongside him while I gut him, just to feel right about it." :)

As usual, Art

I got two pigs yesterday morning. I walked up on about ten of them taking a snooze in a pile. Still no coyotes, though. Called up a gobbler too. Maybe I'll manage to get one this year.

Back