What to get for 200 yards?

Hal

I want a 200 yard rifle. 200 yards is the max that I can shoot because of the range limitation.
I have an old Winchester model 670 in 30-06 right now.
Should I:
Use the 670 as a base and build up a rifle?
Save up for a .308?
Look into a Browning Hi-Wall in 45/70, and also save for it?
Go totally crazy and get bit by the benchrest bug, drain my retirement funds,sell the wife into slavery,,,,you get the picture.?

What I want is something fun to shoot that is going to be a challenge. No competition, no hunting, just a fun shooter. Something that allows me to compete against the forces of nature (wind,cold etc.) and excess cafine.

------------------
(!)

For something different, try BPCR (black powder cartridge rifle) shooting. Basically buffalo rifle shooting. I hear that's pretty challenging. Don't do it myself, but I know people who do. I've got a heavy octagonal barrelled Rolling Block in 45/70 but I've only shot smokeless in it.

I have a Martini-Henry in 577-450 that's a lot of fun for long range. Bad sights, heavy recoil, iron butt plate, smoke and soot. Man, if you can find one, that's fun.

On the other hand, that AR idea makes a lot of sense! I love mine.

Dunno how much money you have, but if it's just 200 yard plinking, and you enjoy challenging shooting and throwing some substantial THUMP out there, I'd look at surplus military rifles.

Shotgun News generally has lots of the old clunkers for sale. I got a Lee-Enfield #1 Mark III a while back for $83 that looked worn but still shot pretty good (despite the 1918 stamp!) My favorite Lee-Enfields are #4 Mark 1 or 2s which can be had for around $100 in very good condition. Note the best way to enjoy these .303s is buy a heap of surplus ammo. Keep your eyes peeled for non-corrosive .303 or know how to clean out the barrel well after shooting corrosive stuff.

Besides Lee-Enfields, there are usually tons of Mausers out there: Swedish, Chilean, WW2 Wehrmacht, Mexican, Persian, and a whole bunch of other places from where they decide to sell off their old stuff. Collecting Mausers in itself can be a lifelong hobby! I have a Czech Mauser (Vz 24?) made in 1945 that's been rebarreled to .308 in Israel. Wish it could talk and say where it's been. Also, the Swedish 6.5x55mm Mausers are really nice IMHO if you don't mind the funny caliber.

There's Hakims (8mm), P17 Enfields, weird hybrids like my Mauser and a bunch of other old military surplus rifles that IMHO are a great bargain for centerfire plinking for under $200 (depending on how nice looking you want the rifle).

I find if I shoot one of the old thumpers a lot, they work much better for instinctive "feel" when I throw it to my shoulder and the sights come on target a lot easier than the "modern" designs.

Just my opinion.

Edmund

YP front: I'm biased in favor of the old '06. So, what's wrong with what you have?

Take up reloading, if you're not now doing so. You can have low-recoil plinkers with lead gas-check bullets. You can truly be a piddler with round lead ball and a small amount of pistol powder--great squirrel and feral cat load, and won't wake the neighbors.

You can either mess with the trigger yourself, or put an after-market trigger on it. You can re-bed the stock and see how tight a group you can work up with ammo tailored to your particular rifle...

Now, a High Wall in .45-70 would be neat, but I would want more room. At 800 yards, you shoot, open a beer, light a cigar, and then listen/look for the bullet to hit...

And, yup, .223s is fun; ARs is fun; Hell, they all are!

You're just wormy. Just like me, just like the rest of us...I'm waiting on a call-back on a .50 rifle. Lord, I really NEED one! :)

Have fun, Art

Hal - If you're looking for a fun to shoot rifle that won't kick you like the '06, won't break the bank, or cause you to sell the wife into slavery (unless you want to ;)), try a Ruger Mini-14. With the stock peep sights a 200 yard target will give you a challenge without the need for a reduction in your caffeine intake.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I want them alllllllllll!!!!! But can't afford 'em :( :) :( :)
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Re: the AR15/ Mini 14 .223 is too small for what I have in mind. I set a personal limit on .30 cal as the minimum,,,,,,for right now :) I know me pretty well, that'll change in the near future.

Martini's Rock! I've wanted one ever since I saw Zulu Dawn ( I think that was the movie they "starred" in), but they seldom show up around my parts.

I have a fondness for "classic" US military calibers, 30-06, 45-70 Gvt , 30-40 Krag and such. (Gimme time, I'm sure the other's will bite me sooner or later).

I think Art may have hit on something. There isn't really anything wrong with what I have. The 670 is a solid base for a project. What I have now is a stock 670, factory $.99 scope, complete with some kind of crud inside. How about I start with it, shoot some standard factory loads, and go from there. I can build up a decent project rifle, use suggestions from everybody here as far as what modifications to use, and report on the results. Sound like a plan?

------------------
(!)

Hal: I have the same rifle except that it is marked 'Sears Model 53', in '06. I bought it in 1983, put a K4 on it, and wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I have occasionally put a K10 on it, but the bottom line is that with match bullets it shoots better than any rifle I have ever owned out to 600 yards. The only thing I have ever done with it is glass bed it and float the barrel. It shoots sub-MOA groups at all ranges; I am going to try some 190 gr or so match bullets in it with the K10 for 800-1000 yard work. What I am trying to say is that you may have a very fine--if plain--rifle there that will perform beyond your expectations. As to cartridges, the '06 has it all too. (Some things in life really are simple decisons.)

------------------

Hal: Forgot to mention: I have had more pure pleasure out of that 'Sears Roebuck' M53 than my loaded out Shiloh Sharps. The Sharps is for sale; the Sears '06 definitely is not.

------------------

Hal, What's wrong with a Garand? They can be very accurate well beyond 200 yards. Not only that but their darn nice to shoot. I have 2 that you couldn't pry away from me.

Hal: If you don't reload, do you know anybody who does? Most reloaders are happy to work with another shooter, particularly when loading "plinkers".

They'll show you the "how to", and once the brass is primed and the powder measure is set up, it goes real fast. Makes a nice social evening...

Go to the TFL archives on bedding rifles for improved accuracy, and also on selecting reloading equipment. There are beaucoup posts there...

Best luck, Art

A Ghost Ring Sighted Shotgun loaded with Sabots makes for good 200 yard shooting. Espacialy at ATF- I mean Deer sized targets. Launching that huge Sabot out that far is a real hoot!

chew.gif

Back