What to feed my Sig ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean2001

I need some advice on what ammo to use for carry in my Sig P220. It will not feed Golden Sabers so they are out. I'd like to stick with standard pressure rounds if possible. I'm looking at 230gr. Hydra Shoks but am worried about the velocity out of the Sigs 4.4" barrel, will they still expand ? Any advice will be helpfull.

Greetings Sean, My carry ammo for my P220A
in .45ACP IS the Federal 230 grain Hydra-
Shok's. They will out perform most other
standard pressure .45ACP ammo.

------------------
Ala Dan

Try out all of the major hollowpoints to see which ones feed the best. In the end, they all perform nearly the same... If you are having trouble feeding hollowpoints, and you don't want to do any gunsmithing, keep in mind that Winchester SXT's have the roundest nose of the major hollowpoints, so they will have the best chance at feeding...

Pro Load 185 grain JHP @1050 fps(5 inch barrel). This should give you 1000 fps or so without +P pressures. You also get the Gold Dot Bullet and a very low muzzle flash signature.

I'm with Ala Dan. I carry 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shocks in both my Sig P-220 and my Kimber full size 1911A1, when they are carried concealed.

While the muzzle velocity is relatively low (as I recall about 850 fps), penetration and accuracy are excellent. In addition, feed seems to be virtually identical to the major brand 230 grain FMJ/ball loads. Finally with respect to expansion, you are starting with a .451 inch projectile WHICH IS DESIGNED TO EXPAND AT .45 ACP velocities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back