What to feed my HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean2001

I have a HK USP .45 and can't pick a carry ammo. I've narrowed it down to either 185gr +P Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots 200gr +P. Can someone give me some advice.

I like the carbon +p 200gr. jhp......good stuff.

But if need be I'd go w/the golden saber.

------------------
frogman6

[This message has been edited by frogman6 (edited November 21, 1999).]

I second 230gr Hydro-shocks.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Hi sean 2001;
Good choices. The Remington GS 185 gr +P is a very good cartridge in this gun.
In the Gold Dot, my USP .45 prefers the 185 gr load, since it shoots to POA for me. (I found the 200 gr +P to be less accurate, not sure why.) If both are equally accurate for you, choose the one you can shoot faster, or whichever has the lesser muzzle flash. (The Gold Dot 185 gr has less muzzle flash than the Remington GS 185 gr +P, for instance.)

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

I like your picks the best. Their perfromance in geletin tests, bare and heavily clothed, have been very strong. (Hydro-shocks usually come up with average results)

David

[This message has been edited by David (edited November 21, 1999).]

The Hydra-Shok in 230 grains is always a good choice if you got at least 4 inches of tube.
Its effective. Its reliable. Its accurate.

If that does trip your trigger and you want some more speed, then you got the SXTs, Golden Sabers and the others that are about just as good. I dont know about the Golden Sabers - I never liked them as I feel they were a BLACK TALON rip off. (which wasnt all that great anyway)
Triton's Hi Vel loads are very good.
If I couldnt find my Hydras - I would go with the Fed 185 grain P+ loads.

You really cant buy bad ammo if your buying new factory ammo - oops, I lied:
Whatever you do: DONT BUY WOLF BRAND AMMO. That stuff is just nasty.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

George is it true that FBI did extensive handgun ammo tests and found the sabre's to be best at penetrating barriers and still performing best compared to the rest of tested rounds (hydra,gold dot,sxt). This is what I had heard quite a while ago, but dont know the source except it was in gun rag.

From what I have heard - these MAGIC FBI TESTS have covered everything - and depending on who you talk to - have always concluded BRAND X to be the BEST.

Besides - Who is the FBI to say whats better?
Most departments that do testing can find good data too. Individuals can do a lot of testing as well. I was part of some testing done in Idaho - We tested in 3 mediums, through various bariers... No One round did the trick each time. The best thing we determined was that you need to carry a Golf Bag full of your "clubs" and choose the right mag full of the appropriate "clubs."
Hydras always performed consistantly in .45.
So did others - Gold Dots did well too. Golden Sabers seemed to clog a lot if I remember right.
The only loading that Did Everything well was a full house 10MM load out of a Delta Elite with a 6 inch tube. But I wasnt testing that caliber - I did .40 and .45s.. the other fellows did the 9 - 10s, 38s and .357s...
the mediums were wet pack - 10% Gel - and bags of water. The barriers were the same mediums behind 1. a layer of denium, flannel and a t shirt. 2. Auto glass for some chevy trucks and taurus cars. 3. walpaper 2 layers of drywall with a 4 inch or so space - simulating interior walls.
We were not as scientific as we should have been - but we spent a lot of time breaking things and making loud noises.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

sean2001,

Between your two choices I would go with the 200 gr. +P Gold Dot... Otherwise, I would personally go with 185 gr. Gold Dots or 230 gr. SXT's... (I don't like +P .45's) Both of these rounds did the best out of my HK USP full-size...

I've tried the Triton 165 grain, Golden Saber 230, and Hydrshok 230.
I always get super accuracy and of course no feeding problems with the Hydrashok.
For what little its worth,(and its very little) the milk jugs, plastic liter bottles, assorted large fruits and vegtables I've shot at target practice, the Hydrashok just rips them to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back