What to do with unused cartridges.

dahermit

I found an ammo box with 100 rounds of .45 Colt handloads on a shelf today that I do not know what to do with. I sold my S&W in .45 Colt a few years ago and forgot about them. The dilemma is, I don't know what to do with them. The options seem less than ideal. I no longer own a gun in .45 Colt. Selling and shipping is problematic without even considering liability of selling hand loaded ammunition. Pulling them down, recasting (255 grain RCBS Keith bullets), the lead into bullets I am currently using, depriming, then selling the brass seems like more work than I want to be involved with at my current age. I am a recluse that does not have a bunch of shooting buddies, so passing them on to another shooter is out. At this point, pulling and depriming , then selling the brass via internet seems like the only reasonable option...unless someone can offer a better idea.

Family or friends own a .45 Colt?
I don't reload for family or friends but the rule could get 'bent' if we went out together for a day of shooting...

Any chance a shiny S&W 25 might follow you home? What about a new S&W crew served .460 Magnum? How about reliving your youth with a Ruger single action in the 'traditional' (TV anyway) cowboy caliber?

The other options you mentioned do seem to be a LOT of work for a little payback.

Family or friends own a .45 Colt?
I don't reload for family or friends but the rule could get 'bent' if we went out together for a day of shooting...
As I posted, friends, et. al., are not an option.

rec·luse
ˈrekˌlo͞os,rəˈklo͞os/Submit
noun
a person who lives a solitary life and tends to avoid other people.
synonyms: hermit, ascetic, eremite, marabout;

Get on line and look at those 'keychain' cartridges. See if you would want to make and Ebay sell those keychains. (Key ring, short ball chain through the primer hole)

Get the parts, polish the brass, scratch roy, gene or hoppy on the brass, and sell them for 3 to 5 bucks each. A RN plated bullet would be better though (not handling lead).

I put together some empty brass ( no powder or primers) and bullets for a guy with a non-firing replica .45. He bought the materials and wanted to have fake cartridges in his wall hanger gunbelt for show. Maybe there is an Ebay market for fake cartridges?

My local gun store will take old cartridges for recycling. I would rather do that then draw police attention to myself by taking them to the cops.

Last edited:
My local gun store will take old cartridges for recycling. I would rather to that then draw police attention to myself by taking them to the cops.

Why is that, are you a fugitive from justice? Running from your past? You think the local PD has nuttin' better to do than target someone looking to get rid of old ammo with surveillance? Maybe put them on a no-fly list? Maybe it's cause I live in a small midwestern town, where the Police Chief and many of those under him know me personally, and I don't consider that a bad thing. Even tho they know I'm into guns........:eek:

That's the way to go.

I pulled a lot of bullets after the Incident but there was some I did not want to bother with. The PD was not interested in trying to demil them. So some is still on the shelf and some is in the landfill. Can't have trashed too many at once, I have not heard of a garbage volcano.

...throw them in the trash.
I will pull them for the lead, salvage the primers, return the Red Dot to it's container, and sell the brass on the internet if I absolutely have to.

In all, I was hoping for something I had not already considered. But, that would seem is not going to happen. I guess I will just deal with them...with a bullet puller.

Back