What to do with tanned skins?

AndABeer

I am expecting my trophies from RSA to arrive anytime now. What to do with the heads is obvious but I also have the skins coming as well, kudu, impala, and black wildebeast and am not clear on what my options are there. They could also be hung on the wall or used as floor coverings but I was wondering what else might be done with them.

It would mean cutting, but I've seen a fair amount of furniture covered with hair-on hides.

I'd have to try it to see, but maybe it would be attractive to have a hide on the wall with the head centered on it. A "total exhibit", as it were.

Or on a wall as a backdrop for any other souvenirs you brought back--masks, knives, that sort of thing.

FWIW,

Art

I've got a full size Gemsbok skin on my wall it looks great and is a great conversation piece as well. Also a great PETA dectector.

Then there is the Celtic solution.

You can cut the tannned strips into apropriate sized lentghs and circumfrenece sow them together leaving an opening at one end. they are supposed to make a very good profalactic.

Hairy side out of course.:eek:

Well, I shot a 4-point axis and the head and hide are presently being taken care of at my taxidermist. I plan to just hang the hide on the wall under the head-mount.

A guy I work with uses hides to make his own "rifle sock". He stores his blackpowder in one and it looks really cool and makes for a great story.

an interesting suggestion, rifle rugs for the rifles that took them, though i dont want any pissed off animal spirits after me

Depending on the hair length, knife sheaths.

Do a search for leatherworking sites. You should get some ideas.

That is if you want to chop it all up.

Otherwise, wall display or center of floor.

Ever kicked a stuffed bear rug in the head?
Ouch! Sharp teeth.

onemillionyears3_175x241.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Back