What to do with new M1 receiver from CMP?

Derek Zeanah

After posting my "Battle Rifles on a Budget" thread I decided I liked my M1 Garand enough to go ahead and have a B-grade receiver built up by a good gunsmith rather than investing in another firearm. I was going to save for an M1A until I realized that I can buy enough M1 clips to load 800 rounds (I dare you to carry that ;) ) for less money than it would take to load 20 rounds for the M-14 clones.

Now, I need to decide what to have done and who to have do it. Fulton Armory seems to have the best reputation, and their 6-month wait time can be viewed as a good thing as it means I don't need to come up with the money until Christmas. :D

Orion seems to do a good job too, for about $100 less.

So, I guess I'm looking for more information to help me make my decision. This is going to be for practice at the range (these things are a blast to shoot), and for any/all TSHTF scenarios. So, if it were you, what would you decide re:
1) Caliber. 30-06 has a lot going for it, but the supply of cheap surplus ammo seems to be drying up. What does the .308 really give up over the '06?
2) Who to do the work? Anyone excellent that I'm not aware of?
3) What work to have done? I'd like a nice trigger, and I don't know if a "new" M1 trigger will need work or not. How accurate can an M-1 be is using a USGI barrel? Are NM sights that big of a deal?
4) What about reliability? Is a bedded 1-MOA Garand (like Fulton's Peerless Grade) less reliable than a "stock" gun?

I know there's more, but these are enough to have me confused already.

Thanks.

------------------
Yes, we did produce a near perfect republic, but will they keep it, or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. -- Thomas Jefferson

My first choice would be my instructor who taught me how to work on these guns. He has all the jigs and fixtures which I don't have.

However, it is probably best for you to take it to Fulton Armory. They enjoy a good reputation nationwide and stand behind their work.

On the matter of NM sights, it won't make you shoot any better. However, NM sights allow for more refined adjustments than the standard sights. Therein lies the advantage of NM rear sights. The front sight is narrow and can be done on a milling machine or if you not finicky, a file.

Glass bedding does not make a rifle less reliable. If anything, it makes it more stable and consistent. However, as bells and whistles are added onto the rifle, the rifle becomes more like a prima donna and less like a battle rifle. There's a tradeoff between tight and accurate firearms and reliable but looser battle rifles. Hence our next topic, the barrel.

The barrel is the key to accuracy. I would hazard to say 85% of all accuracy begins with a good barrel. Everything else (glass bedding, unitized handguard, honed and polished gas piston mated to gas cylinder) promotes consistency within the firearm and the greater the consistency, the fewer the fudge factor to ruin accuracy. Also, this is the time to choose which caliber: 30-06 or .308.

My personal preference is to keep it original (30-06). But the choice is yours as you have to consider logistics (price of ammo, availability, standardization with other firearms).

Great idea, absolutely one of my favorites.....I plan on going the same route soon,,,,,,Im using a gunsmith of my acquaintance in Madison Tn, Mr. Morris is quite good and if you would like his number Id be happy to provide it for you privately.
....as far as what the 30-06 gives up, a different way of looking at the situation would be why prior to the heavy weight .223's did the competition shooters go to the 308 almost exclusively in that rifle, the answer is that they gained an accuracy advantage. I dont have all the technical stuff down, it had something to do with complete consistent burns and case capacity/....I believe that to be correct, but can tolerate correction if Im wrong there.....I personally want to put a 18" 308 barrel on one with a forward mounted scope, for a general purpose rifle.....
One of the reasons I havent yet done this is that when you add up the cost you are very close to a m1a scout......If I find the right platform, such as an existing 308 rifle at a reasonable cost it will become more economical.....fubsy.

dzeanah - Folks more knowledgable than myself have already given you some very sound advice.

I do suggest that you not dismiss Orion 7 out of hand. The only rifles that they work on / restore are Garands. Tony Pucci (as well as Clint McKee of Fulton Armory) both contributed to "The M1 Garand: Owners Guide" written by Scott Duff.

I'm probably a little biased here as I have an Orion 7 restored Garand. The thread I posted is at: http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/002567.html

The trigger on mine as shipped is very good. Two stage as would be expected, and the break to me feels just perfect. YMMV.

Cliff

Cliff, I apologize for not mentioning Orion. They also do great jobs on Garands. I merely mentioned Fulton because of the writings that they made on the newly manufactured receivers.

------------------
Carlyle

Back