What to do with a Winchester 94 Wells Fargo Commemorative

dansu

Inactive
I purchased a NIB Winchester Model 94 Wells Fargo Commemmorative decades ago. I look at it once in a while (it is beautiful) but gun room space is getting tight; especially to keep a gun to just look at once every 2-3 years. I really want to use it (perfect size and a 30-30 is a handy caliber). In your opinion(s) would it be just wrong to start putting rounds through it or should I just keep "looking" at it. Heck, I think the oil paper is still moist!

Look up the blue book value and number made. If its not terrifically valuable, and comparatively few made, I say shoot it. I've shot a number of new in the box Winchetsr 94 commemoratives. Most shoot very well, and are nicer to look at than the similar standard grade guns. I understand that there's some financial loss, but there is with any new gun. Weigh the cost, decide if its worth it to you, and make a decision.

I've shot 2 or 3 NIB Bufffalo Bill commemoratives, several Canadian Centennials, and a couple others I've forgotten. I have no regrets on any of them. I enjoyed them all very much while I owned them. Some of the 26" octagon rifle versions are the only practical way to own a excellent condition shooter version of that model and type. They are generally priced pretty reasonably compared to standard grade guns. Many of the commemoratives never really took off in price. I still see new in the box, 1960's vintage 26" barreled commemorative rifles in the $600 range, up from the $500 range a few years ago.

Most Winchester commemoratives have little additional value over a similar non-commemorative rifle. If you still have the box, tags, etc, you could try to sell it on Gunbroker and see what it draws. Otherwise just shoot it and don't feel too bad.

Thanks all. I've looked at various sites and pricing for a sale seems to vary.
One location said 650-700, I saw one that had sold for 895 and looking at a writing from what appeared to be Gun Digest, it said 1295 - which I find hard to believe.

I had been looking at a mini 14 ranch and just kept putting it off until all this stuff took off and now, things are just crazy. My wife has been pressuring me to do "something" with it; she just doesn't understand it sitting in a box for 40 years taking up space and I'm trying to persuade her to let me have a walk in closet to expand gun storage space. I don't really want to sell it since it has been around for a long time - just trying to figure out how to get the most out of it. I didn't buy it back then as an investment. I bought it and a John Wayne commemmorative because the store was going out of business, the price was pretty good and they looked nice. I gave the John Wayne to my best friend 20 years ago. Since I had waited this long to fire it, and at my age, I thought it might just be better if I just let it sit and maybe it would be worth something for the kids (I'm only 62 so I hope to hang around for quite a while :) Just trying to get some objective thoughts from outside my head to help me make a good decision. My appreciation to all who have offered advice.

Build the closeet, mostof my regreats in the gun business are centered around guns I have sold.As my Grand Son says, never sell a gun

Thanks BooBoo.

I'm leaning in that direction. I've never sold a gun and been happy about it afterwards. Back in the day I sold a Parker Hale 1500(?) 7mm mag and a Remington 700 BDL .270 for a pittance. I loved those guns but it seemed we needed the money. Those were the days........

FWIW, I've owned and sold a half dozen mini-14's over the years, and don't miss any of them. A nice high grade Winchester means much more to me than all the minis together. YMMV of course.

A Winchester makes a pretty dandy defensive arm, so long as you arent facing hoards of rioters etc.

My commemmorative mod 94 has shot over 30 deer. The stories are worth much more than the gun will ever be.

The Win. commeratives have not appriciated in value much and never will . Like all things made as collectables , collectors don't want them !

Back