What to do with a irresponsible gun owner?

UZI4U

My sons stayed at a friends home over the weekend. What their friend showed them shocked me. Apparently the father of this 12 year showed his son where he placed all of his firearms. All of his firearms are easily accessible. His son in order to show off or impress his friends gives a tour of his fathers obsession while the father is at work. I am not against individuals owning a hugh collection but for God's sake invest in a safe or learn to make concealed cabinets that requires a key to open. Most of the guns in this collector's home were empty except for the one in a holster attached to the side of his water bed. This isn't the first time that this boy showed off his father's collection I wonder when an accident will cost a child his life because this gun owner wasn't smart enough to buy a safe. I can't stress this enough we as gun owner must be more careful with where we place our firearms. If we don't we will end up paying the price for our stupidity. It could cost us more than our guns it could cost us a son or daughter. Are we as parents ready to pay that price? I know I not. What do you think I should do? This individual works as a Firefighter.

What do you think I should do?

Smack him upside the head. Hard. Repeatedly. With a gun barrel.

Seriously, I'd take this moron aside and explain that if he fails to secure his guns (and more importantly, fails to EDUCATE his son) and there's an incident, he will be directly responsible for the bullshiite laws which will be passed immediately thereafter.

Not to mention that he's a bloody IDIOT.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

You need to ensure your son is not placed in an unsafe environment.

You also should have a talk with the firefighter and explain why your son won't be allowed to come over any more.

Hopefully he will take the necessary actions.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

This hits close to home. This is what happened when my boyfriend shot himself, he was showing us his dads gun, and decided to play around with it.(yes he died) If I were you I would defintely call the kids dad and have a little talk with him, that and dont let your son go over there until you know this guy is going to lock up his guns. This is how accidents happen. Good luck!

#1 Protect your child from this potentially FATAL situation. Keep him way the heck away from there. Also, give your kids friends parents the benefit of the information you have.

#2 Please try to talk some sense into this moron. Explain his liability, as well as what may happen to him should something happen to one of your kids due to his neglect.

This is definately a situation that warrants raising a stink over. Please talk to this guy soon!

You guys ever seen the movie "6th sense"?

"Come on, I'll show you where my dad puts his gun."

Take this guy aside privately (not in front of family members, friends, or anyone else he knows), offer him a Bud, and gently bring up the issue. In the meantime, forbid your kid to visit this guy's house.

1) Don't allow your kids over there until the situation is corrected.
2) As SB said...talk to him in private...do not humiliate him or make him defensive nor make it "personal". We all want this corrected...for your kids, his kids and other kids who may visit. If the guy feels belittled, etc...his anger may make him ignore your concerns. There is only one acceptable outcome to this and you are obliged to see it so. A huge burden of responsibility is on you now UZI....my best wishes

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Uzi,
I would like to make a few more comments on this beyond what has already been brought up:

1. Even if you never heard about the gun collection I do not think it is wise to have 12 year old boys running around unsupervised during a weekend stay. That in itself shows poor parental responsibility on this guy's part and is reason enough alone to not allow your son back over there.

2. Not only does this guy a lack of common sense but I also raise my eyebrow at any 12 year old that parades forth a personal collection of anything in this manner. Evidently the boy was never taught squat about personal belongings and private matters or he has a real problem himself.

3. Locks, cabinets, trigger safeties, safes, etc., etc are all good but the cornerstone is common sense. I bet you if this guy had everything he owned under lock and key that boy would know where the key was. Food for thought for anytime young boys aren't being watched.

4. I commend your son on reporting the situation to you and commend you on having that kind of relationship with him. Evidently you raised him up right and I congradulate you on that feat. A lot of people fail miserably in that respect. Sounds like the firefighter is on a rocket ride that direction.

I wish you the very best and good luck in a prickly situation. I spend a lot of time trying to discuss problems diplomatically with certain "parents". Many times I am tempted to resort to a swift kick to where they evidently have their heads at.

Take care and God bless,
Paladin

UZI4U:

You are receiving some pretty good advise from previous replies....I would like to add one tactic....

A firefighter would have some very valuable advise for you and your family for fire protecting your home. What you can do to improve fire protection, what to do in case of fire at your home or next door, how you and your family can survive a home fire, etc., etc.

Take his advise seriously and ask him to take your advise seriously on contolling his guns. He probably doesn't need a lecture and he is not a moroon; he needs education and training.

All my tactical classes from basic to advanced start with five safety rules:

1. All Guns are Always Loaded.
2. Never let the Muzzle Cover anything You are not Willing to Destroy.
3. Keep Your finger(s) off the Trigger until Your Sights are on Target.
4. Know your Target, what is Beyond, on Both Side and in Front.
5. Control Your Weapons; Guns, Knives, Hammers, Cars, Swimming Pools.....They are Your Responsibility.

Good Luck and Best Regards.....
"Make Ready and Watch Your Six"

The root of the problem is this guy’s son has not been effectively educated in the proper respect of firearms. I agree that the locking up of the weapons is prudent, however, as Paladin stated any determined 12 year old of reasonable intelligence will eventually learn the combination or find the location for the keys. I would not allow my kid back in that home even after you talk with the Father and even if he locks up his weapons. If the fear and respect of firearms is not ingrained in a child by the time they are 12 years old, in spite of growing up around them, it is likely they will not wakeup until something drastic happens.

Invite your friend,
over to your house to see this firing line
string.Have him read it for the last post first to the first( post)lastly.

[This message has been edited by ernest2 (edited November 16, 1999).]

I guess this shows how far we've progressed as a society. In my youth, when I was twelve (over 30 years ago) I can rememeber the "gun case" in the basement had no doors on the front of it - Dad never did get around to finishing that part of the cabnetry in the basement. For what ever reason, most likely education of what firearms could do, and dads version of "the 4 rules", the firearms kept within were never treated with disrespect.

When I reached highschool age, and had friends over, once in a great while we would take a look at them (some of them were from WWII) always practicing proper handling, even when the parents weren't there. Even my friends, from varied backgrounds, knew enough to respect firearms at that age.

These days, I am expected to lock them in a safe. Says a lot right there. First, they must be evil since I must lock them away and out of sight. But more so that we, as parents, are failing to spend the time required with our children to educate them on the proper manner of handling a firearm. Even if that means leave it alone because you don't know enough yet to handle it safely!

No, I don't leave my firearms out for all to "play" with. Mostly I don't display them because of the mental attitude of "what will other people say".

In this case the problem is first and foremost the childs - he lacks education, but the father also bears a large portion of this burden. He failed to educate his son. Perhaps ask him over to your place, to get a few tips on fire safety from him, then, as you are talking, mention his gun collection, and ways he can make his home safer.

TR,
You sure are right about change!

How many of us wore helmets and gloves when we rode bikes as kids? Or helmets, gloves, kneepads and elbow pads when we roller skated?

Then again, we didn't have automobile seat belts, let alone airbags (non-politican type ;)) and a lot of people died who are saved today.

Hmm. I guess some of the "safety" ideas are good. But, as in many things, where do we draw the line? Are we soon to be required by federal law to keep all sharp kitchen utensils in locked safes except when used by registered users?

The whine, "If it saves just ONE child...." may enslave us all in rubber babybuggy bumpers before it's all over.

Time will tell.

I agree, a twelve year old should know better. The parent should have given the kid a proper firearms education. My kids know where my guns are and where the ammo is stored. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they could get past the locks that secure them. But, they have had saftey drilled into them from the time they first knew just what a gun was. I'm proud to say I've never had a problem with them.

Back