What to do for surface rust

crow slayer

I got a new Browning BPS Stalker in March. I think the finish must very bad because even though I oil it after EVER use I still find
light surface rust on the reciever. I not not
have this problem with any of my other guns, not even my 30+ year old Ithaca M37 that has no blueing left on it at all. What Can I do?

what kind of oil are you using? I use Rem Oil with great success. water still beads up after 3 days in the rain. Give it a try.

Rutgers

Brownells and Flitz claim that at least one of the Flitz polishes can be used on blued metal without removing the bluing. All I can say is, try this somewhere where it won't be visible if it doesn't work as advertised!

On another front, I've had great luck with B-C Sheath for keeping surfaces free of rust.

Try using Tuf Cloth on it. This stuff is supposed to be great blocking corrosion. Haven't tried it first hand. The packaged says something about being tested by the Navy or Navy SEALS.

Tuf-cloth

Tuf-cloth

Tuf-cloth!

The stuff is FANTASTIC. I have never used it on guns (why? A large bottle of Rem-oil in my closet and a desire to not waste stuff. Uhm...every day is Earth Day. Yeah. ;)), but I use it on knives and the stuff is incredibly long-lasting. Hit a blade (one that will rust if you think moist thoughts) with it prior to a camping trip where it rained all weekend, got the knife good and wet, used it a lot, and foolishly put it away upon return without proper care. Realized my error after a few days (closer to 2 weeks). Pulled out the knife- dirty, but no rust.

Tuf-cloth! :)

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

[This message has been edited by Coronach (edited June 20, 2000).]

Flitz does work well at removing light surface rust without harming the bluing. And it's great at polishing stainless and brass. Just remember that Flitz works through a chemical reaction, not through abrasion. After a few moments of rubbing, your cloth will show black streaks. This is not the bluing coming off. It is the chemical reaction working. A little will go a long way and don't rub too hard.

Back