what solvent is safe to use on nickel?

MR.G

I have used Hoppes for years on my blue and stainless guns, with good results. Recently I got a nickel revolver and would like to know what solvent is safe to use . I have heard that Hoppes can yellow a nickel finish.

You heard right. Hoppes can not only yellow it, if any of the plating has flaked off, Hoppes will work underneath the finish and spread the flaking.

Regular K-1 Kerosene or Ballistol work, and have worked fine for me for years.

Check my attachement in this thread. That top photo is a 25 year old Smith that's seen a lot of shooting/cleaning and a number of years of storage. It's still bright and shiny, but the yellow cast of the light above makes it appear slightly yellow.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=94860

I cannot verify that Hoppes #9 will "yellow" the finish, but I can confirm that it potentially "undermines" it. Specifically, if the nickel alloy finish has even small cracks, chips or fissures, #9 will penetrate to the copper base and erode it. When the base is degraded, the nickel alloy surface will, in time, vanish.

I suggest Break Free CPL.

Both my Kahr K9 and Kimber Custom have nickel finishes (Kimber- aftermarket finish by EABCO).

I have been using Break-Free for years now will absolutely no ill effects.

The electroless nickel process differs from other types of nickel-plating processes, so I can't be sure it'll be safe for use with your revolver.

Back