What size round ball for a 12ga bore?

Works in mine. Its a thumper with 100 grains of powder and a tight patched ball but devastating when it hits something.:D

Well guys, I know some of you will say this is dumb. But what I'm doing is I'm ordering a 209 adapter from gunadapters.com for use with my old H&R single shot shotgun (my first gun) and bam a cheap black powder shot gun. Just something to play with really. I'm going to try different stuff with it. The adapter says 75-85 grs of powder MAX. But I would think since the gun is made of modern steel that it could withstand a round ball load?? This gun has a full choke barrel so the round ball may be out of the question??

This gun has a full choke barrel so the round ball may be out of the question??

I wanna do the same thing (good old pathfinders), but man it is near IMPOSSIBLE to find an open choke, or even Modified one, these days... Been looking for over a year a now in the second hand rag we got around here and all but ONE was full, that one being a mod choke...

Im thinking of simply getting a full and hacking off a couple\three inchs...

Dave Canterbury says in his video that he fires a round ball from his Modified choke shotgun. Cheaper than dirt has the modified choked H&R's available. But your idea of chopping off the barrel would probably work too. How far down is a fixed choked barrel "choked"?

Well... My swap out choke Mossy is only like an inch, maybe an inch and a half? Im thinking H&R isnt putting a HUGE amount of time or money into things, so I wouldnt THINK more then a couple inches tops. I figure 2-3 would take it off... BUT, I would call the company and ask them first to be sure.

Dont know how true it is, but I always heard growing up that the REASON not to shoot slugs through a full choke isnt because of pressure so much as it will simply shoot your choke out over time. Makes sense, I guess, as lead is softer then steel, but too many batterings would stretch it. I certainly WOULDNT take that advice TODAY, but then we did lots of things "back in the day" we wouldnt dream of today... And amazingly I still gots all my fingers and toes ;)... Still...Yeah, I wouldnt if I didnt have to.

Conversely, and Im probably wrong here as well (others here would know much more about this), the same people who would tell me things like that ALSO said, if I recall correctly, that the old BP rabbit ears (REAL ones passed down, not sure about the repos) would actually shoot BETTER without a choke anyway... Something about the faster burning powders needing choke more then BP did... Shrugs... Not sure how that would work with modern steel barrels, but probably the same?

Again though.. This is ALL just stuff Im figuring or stuff Ive heard second hand... I wouldnt suggest ANYONE try the things Im willing to risk.. Im too damn poor and backwoods and HAVE to make do sometimes. For example, Im not even gonna bother with the adapters, im just gonna whittle down some used high brass and tap out the primer... Or possibly cut off the crimp and reload with BP. Those who CAN afford the adapters, or better yet some real full brass and reloadable BP shells, are probably WAY better off doing so.

Either way... You'll probably get to do it sooner then I (I only get one or two high dollar things a year, and one is usually a tool of some kind), so I would definitely CALL H&R first, tell em what ya planning, and see what they have to say. Then come back here and let me know how it works out for ya, cos Im itching to try it myself! :D

I got my 12ga to 209 adapter in today. I got the Teflon coated one. These have double orings to help seal the breech from fouling. I'm going to email them and see what size the orings are so I can have some spares. This is a quality piece very well made and fits into the chamber nicely, well after I lubed up the orings with some tallow and beeswax lube.
00bc99b47c3adee6fa757a79140f7624.jpg

A small brake cylinder hone and and electric drill will open up those old tight chokes PDQ.

Seems preferable to hacking the barrel off. Easy to use calipers to check how much you are taking it down.

I'd rather do that than try to drill and tap to re-install the bead.

Back