What should I get, an FEG Hi-Power, a CZ-75, or something else?

Steve Smith

Subject says most of it. I really have most of the handguns I want, but the price of these two guns is apealing. I will use the gun as a second IDPA gun (so I can compete in two categories) and also as an alternate carry piece (as opposed to my 1911). I want a good looking pistol (the CZs appear nice, but is the FEG finished well?) that will be very reliable and enjoyable to shoot. If you guys seem to think that the two guns are almost equal, then I'll save the $100 and get the FEG, but if the CZ is worth another $100, I might get it.

Caveat: My FAL is in BAD need of a re-finish...if I save the $100 on the FEG, then I can apply it to the FAL refinish.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Steve,

Since you are looking for something "that looks good, is reliable and enjoyable to shoot" I would recommend the CZ. It is all that and very accurate also. I love mine. You can also get the excellent Kadet .22LR conversion kit for cheap plinking with the same pistol.

To be honest, I've not shot a FEG but I personally feel that the CZ would be a bargain at $100 more than it is currently selling for ($339 around here).

Joe

I have an FEG FP9 and a CZ 85 and I have to say that I prefer the CZ over the FP9 considering the $100 difference in price. The fit and finish of the CZ is definitely nicer than the FEG and the trigger of my CZ 85 is slightly better than the FEG. The sights on the CZ are also of better quality than the FEG. In terms of accuracy, both of mine shoot VERY accurately and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one in competition. If you do decide to purchase the FEG, get a pair of the Hogue grips, which makes the gun more pleasant to hold. Hope this helps.

Ed

I have not fired the CZ (and would like to,on a trial basis.)However I have owned the FEG jhp (single action) and recommend it highly.It was accurate ,cheap and held 14 rounds (one in chamber).A $35 trigger job (removed the mag safety) and you will be blasting coke cans at 50 feet within minutes.Besides in Dallas area,they are $205,tax included.
tracer

I have owned the FEG, and also have the CZ-75.

As Joe said, the CZ would be worth it at twice the price. Much better fit and finish, and its trigger is stellar by comparison with the FEG. Let's not forget, a good trigger is a large part of practical accuracy. I regret not discovering this gun earlier.

BTW, for $100 difference, you are either seeing a great price on the CZ, or a poor one on the FEG. They are more toward $135 apart, or more, out here.

I own both. The CZ has a taller grip, making it a little harder to carry concealed. The CZ has a beavertail, that forces your hand lower on the grip, giving a greater bore axis to grip distance. However, the FEG, as it comes with the old ring style hammer, bites my hand. I took a dremel to the underside of the hammer and reblued it to eliminate bite. The FEG, being a hi-power copy, points a little better for me than the CZ. I prefer the matte finish on the CZ to the polished blue of the FEG. Hi-capacity mags are available for lower cost with the FEG. CZ has an outstanding reputation for durability. You will have to make the decision as to which factors are more important for you.

My CZ is quickly becoming my favorite range gun, it is SO FAST!! Plus I had a nice trigger job done on it. I say CZ all the way. Lately I've been thinking of buying a CZ75B in .40 to, because the .357SIG barrels can't be far behind...

I have both

I have both, and the FEG hasn't been shot in a long time. It is accurate and points well, but the CZ is MUCH nicer.

Trust me, buy the CZ. You will be much happier.

I have owned both the FEG Hi Power and the CZ-75B. The FEG was a good shooter but not a 'nice' weapon. I sold it and bought something nicer (Sig 225).

I would not part with my CZ-75B for blood or money.

Hands down, no-brainer--no better buy in guns than the CZ-75B. Those crazy czecks are selling a $600 gun for $350.

God bless 'em.

Go for the CZ and have a 600 buck gun for 350 as Gremlin said. Mine came to $321 with shipping. Not sure which I prefer, my old FN BHP or the CZ.:)

Sounds like my decision has been made...I'll ring in when I get the CZ...it'll be a litle while, though, as my B-day isn't for another month.

The CZ has some history. I was interested in the HS, but there are several problems. First is that it is unproven, second is that it is a new gun so there will be no high capacity magazines available to the general public unless mags from something else fit this new gun. Lastly there is the future availability of parts and service, CZ and FEG have been around for a while and parts are easy to get.

If you are looking at a CZ-style gun and price is an issue, you might want to look at a Witness, better choice of calibers, especially in the compact, going for about $279 around here.

What kind of FAL are you building? I'm planning on one as a project before too long. Blew my latest wad of money on a bow, probably look at a STG-58 kit sometime this summer, if the supply doesn't dry up too soon.

Bri

I would definately go with the CZ when compared to the other models mentioned, The CZ gives new meaning to the phrase "more bang for the buck"....CZ....

Ding, Makarov stated all of the reasons that I won't consider anything else. I'm not shopping for a pistol I need (the Lord knows I 've got enought og those!) but a pistol I want. What I wanted was a hi-power type 9mm with lots of capacity...and did I say cheap?

brianidaho, I have an STG-58. I did not build it myself, I bought it assembled. when I bought it the finish looked like it had been through three wars (might have!)

Back