What should I do?

TCW

I have a Mossberg 500 8-shot 20" w/ a side saddle. I am thinking about intalling a GR sight system ($100 total), but I keep hearing about how incredidible the 870 is! Should I sell my Mossy and take a financial hit for an 870 with less capacity, no sling mounts, a bead sight, and no side saddle?? Is the difference in quality really that big?
Sorry for being anal.
Thanks!
TCW

FWIW, I have used an 870 for about 5 years and wouldn't trade it for another shotgun. I have had the Mossy 590 and the Win 1300. It's like the Chevy/Ford debate, whatever you feel the most comfortable with and the most proficient with, that's the gun for you. As to your question, No I wouldn't dump the 500 with the goodies, if you get a few extra bucks pick up an 870 and try that out, I think you will find that they both have their merits. Hope that helps.....Whit

I'm with Whit. While I prefer the 870, I'd feel perfectly well armed with the Mossberg. If you like the Mossie, keep it.

M1911

I admit I'm one of the more avid 870 fans. They've worked for me for 4 decades. However, if you've got a 500 you like, stay with it.

If all I had for shotgunning was a 500, I wouldn't think I was handicapped.

Lateron, get an 870 and see how it works for you. Then sell the one you like least.

Sell the Mossie to finance a Remington 870
Marine Magnum, and I think the LOVE AFFAIR
will last a lifetime!!! :p :)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back