What should I do about my Remington 700 sps

Huh12345

I am in a bit odd predicament. I have a Remington 700 sps tactical that I really like but I haven't shot it or oiled it in a year and I am currently living abroad and the gun is sitting in on top of its case in a locked closet, in a place where there is no one that can maintain it for me. I've heard that the matte finish is heavily prone to rust. I can have someone take the gun to a gunsmith and have any rust removed and probably have the gun refinished. I've been fielding a few options and the one that sounds interesting is parkerizing. Is this the best option? And how much different will it look from the matte finish?

Not sure where your rifle is but unless its in a very high humidity area it should be fine. The factory finish will hold up to alot. Welcome to TFL.

Nothing you can do now so stop worrying. Evaluate the situation when you get home. The concerns over rusting on these guns is highly overstated. You MIGHT have a thin film of surface rust that will wipe off easily with an oily rag when you get home. That bothers some people, it doesn't bother me. I'd leave the gun as is. If you want to spend nearly as much as the gun is worth to have it refinished with a tougher finish you can always do so later. A little surface rust won't make any difference if you do.

I know how you feel leaving your firearms behind while you live overseas.

Don't worry about it, as worrying doesn't help anyone.

When you get back, you can assess how well your rifle came through storage. My experience with year long separations is that some very light surface rust is about the worst that happens.

Jimro

Well when you get back, and you decide how affected the rifle is, get a can of G96 and spray rifle down and let it soak 24 hours, take it out wipe it down and spray again, leave for 24 hours.
This oil cleans and protects, it also will lift that rust usually very easily with a Brass brush, (brass will not hurt blued surface) scrub scrub scrub and then wipe off crud and spray again, with just a gentle rub down of all metal the G96 lasts easily until the next time you take your rifle out to use it....it works and is gentle on plastic or wood too.

Wait and see as the others said.
Parkerizing still needs to be oiled/maintained- so that wouldn't solve your long-term storage issue, anyway.

Other than military firearm restorations it's not commonly done anymore as it's been eclipsed by modern, maintenance-free coatings like Cerakote.

Whoever told you the matte finish is heavily prone to rust is very confused. A long as the thing is dry, including excess humidity, it'll be fine. Even the matte blued stuff Remington puts on.
In any case, light surface rust comes off with 0000 steel wool and light oil. Faster using a light touch with a brass wire wheel in a bench grinder though.

I use Breakfree CLP (Clean, Lubricate and Prevent) on my guns. Since doing so I haven't seen any rust try to start from sitting.

A matte finish sounds good on paper but it is a rust magnet and absorbs oil like a sponge. they now have duracoat in a blue finish now which is amazing. can somebody tell me how to quote from another post onto my post?

can somebody tell me how to quote from another post onto my post?

Quotes don't really work like other forums or maybe i'm doing it wrong. All I know you can do is copy the text you want and paste it in the message area after clicking that little balloon dialog box icon above.

Back