What shotgun mods & the best body armor?

kjm

I was wanting to modify my 870 as follows for general defensive purposes but mostly for home defense etc. The problem is that it has the 18" bbl, and by comparison to my other 870, it kicks so hard it almost losens the mucus in your sinuses. No joke, it smarts! I like the shorter bbl because it is easier for me and my wife to manipulate and use in the house or in the car. The kick however has got to go. I was thinking of mods to reduce some of the recoil besides the obvious recoil pads, and so maybe an extended magazine and or a 6 shell side saddle carrier. Would the added weight reduce some of the felt recoil? What other mods. I want to be able to practice with this shotgun and teach my wife to use it too, but if it brings tears to her eyes, what are the chances of getting her to seriously practice with it?

Any suggestions here are welcomed.

Second part is Body Armor. A relative of mine is a police officer, and has some really crappy body armor. Body armor does no good in the trunk, so I was wondering which brand or type is best and most likely to be worn comfortably. He wears his most of the time, but it is that time you don't wear it that you get shot. Anyway, I was wanting to make a gift of the best body armor around. Which types would be your picks if you had a reasonable buget of less than 1500.00 to spend?

shotgun mods

ok here is what i have on one of my shotguns, ghost ring sights from sage, side saddle carrier, +1 extension for 6 rounds total, gives gun better balance, and a surefire forearm! now for the recoil mods! get the gun vang comped and then have mag-na-port add the pigeon porting to it, it has more holes than vangs porting! also try a cheek ezz pad on the stock! as far as the wife! try using trap and skeet loads and dont do the stupid slip in a slug or buckshot trick on her! give her time to get use to it! also you might want to chop the stock down a little bit for a better fit for her to use, as well, dont worry you will be able to use it just fine! trust me? as far as body armor goes i use 1 kind second chance monarch +p gold about 800-900 dollars depinding on supplier! good luck

Recoil

I shoot mostly slugs thru my 18 inch barrel and therefore had to deal with the recoil situation.

Several prior threads here convinced me that the best two recoil reducers are free: 1. Use light load target shells and 2. Mount the SG correctly, tight into the shoulder pocket. See Dave McC's thread on this.

Since the weight/mass of the SG has a bearing on felt recoil the sidesaddle filled with shells might help. I have both the normal receiver-mounted sidesaddle and a five-shell buttstock mounted sidesaddle and think I noticed a tiny difference in recoil.

A good shoulder-worn recoil pad can helped me a lot to get past the flinch stage... At a recent training I learned of an inexpensive substitute for a store-bought recoil pad... a fellow student was getting beat up by recoil and the instructor suggested he buy and install, under his shirt, some stick-on, super thick Kotex pads. Worked like a charm.

I recently installed a Cheek-eez pad on the stock and I think it helped me get a better cheek-weld which in turn makes everything feel better.

Anyway, I was wanting to make a gift of the best body armor around. Which types would be your picks if you had a reasonable buget of less than 1500.00 to spend?

You guys must be close if you're making a $1500 gift!

Second Chance has the reputation. They've got about twice the amount of 'saves' as the next closest body armor manufacturer. Request a catalogue; it's chock full of information.

There's also accessories available to help keep you cool and comfortable while in armor.

The added weight WILL help reduce recoil. Some folks even add weight to the stock by removing the butt pad and filling up the stock with some kind of weigh (lead shot).

For a defensive weapon, you can add: a mag extension, a side saddle, a light.

And I'm a big fan of the recoil pad. Part of the reason is that I have long arms, and the pads help extend the LOP on my shotguns. But they also reduce felt recoil.

In addition, you might try some SWAT Tactical loads. These loads have a bit less recoil than standard 00 Buck. Sellier and Bellot makes a good tactical load.

Your recoil problems may be the result of a poor-fitting gun. It's like wearing shoes that are 2 sizes too small -- it's gonna hurt no matter what, because it just doesn't fit. I'd check to see if the stock length can be adjusted to fit your body before going straight to mods to fix the problem.

Accessories ... check out http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/shotgun.html

HTH,

Justin

Shotgun - lighter loads, Pachmeyer decelerator pad, Surefire forend light (918 w/on-off switch), Vang-Comp barrel, sling, pistol grip (Choate or Davis, and not pistol grip only! - it's a shoulder fired wpn :)) Plus the other suggestions. And training. Practice, practice, practice.

Body armor - Second Chance! Ultima (9th generation I believe). Like Ford/Chevy - it's a personal preference, but I wouldn't wear anything else. Upgrade to the titanium strike plate vs the old K30 steel. It's a lot lighter for the same protection.

You need to hold your weapon tucked in tightly against your shoulder before you fire. Any 12 gauge has a certain measure of "push" but the way you refer to it, the recoil must be more than what should be expected and I suspect you're not holding close prior to firing.

Firing a 12 gauge should never be a big deal.

Back