What sales tax is now required for Internet sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
….On average between most state combinations?

In case this isn't clear, wouldn't a state 'combi' imply WI to MO, AZ to TX etc?
The various mechanics and interpretations of the law have no interest for me. If a buyer must pay it, ok. This might not appear on a company website until the order is finalized---you might not have the info to compare prices Before you are committed to a transaction, correct?

If there is a totally New sales tax paid by any buyer on ammo from, for example, Ohio to Tennessee, similar to 5-8%, the price advantage compared to local shopping in Walmart and Academy Sports will be much less than before.

Curious about total prices now for the same ammo, compared to a year ago in 'state pairs" where the tax applies. Most "Basic" US ammo prices are 98%-100% identical with what they were a year or two ago.

Is sales tax on Internet retail items now normally at least 5%?

Last edited:
Correct, per my experience.

This might not appear on a company website until the order is finalized---you might not have the info to compare prices Before you are committed to a transaction, correct?
You are correct in your evaluation. So far, I have been informed of the tax, before I place the order. On two occasions, I did not place the order and found a better deal, locally. It really doesn't amount to much but If I can buy it locally for less money, why not. ….. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Topic not related to semi-automatic rifles. Moved to "General Discussion."

Ignition Override said:
The various mechanics and interpretations of the law have no interest for me. If a buyer must pay it, ok. This might not appear on a company website until the order is finalized---you might not have the info to compare prices Before you are committed to a transaction, correct?
In my experience, incorrect.

Amazon has been collecting state sales tax for some time, so that's my example. I don't think I have ever encountered a web commerce site that doesn't show you a screen summarizing the entire, final amount you'll be charged before you click the button that says "Submit" or "Finalize Sale" (or words to that effect). If you back out before hitting "Submit," you are not committed to the sale.

Pahoo said:
In my experience, CORRECT.

But IO wrote:

Ignition Override said:
--you might not have the info to compare prices Before you are committed to a transaction, correct?

Then you responded:

Pahoo said:
So far, I have been informed of the tax, before I place the order.
So you were informed of the tax before you were committed to the transaction and you were able to back out. So your experience does not appear to support IO's supposition that you may not learn of the tax until after you have committed to the transaction.

Sales tax has nothing to do with the internet. It has to do with governments wanting their cut of sales taking place in their jurisdictions. Governments everywhere closed that loop hole years ago.
"...might not appear on a company website until the order is finalized..." Doesn't in a store either. And you won't have the shipping or hazmat fees either. Mind you, buying ammo on-line is always more expensive due to those added costs.

Last out of state online order we placed charged us 9.5% which is both state and local tax rate.

Mind you, buying ammo on-line is always more expensive due to those added costs.
Maybe in Canada, but for here in the US you are completely wrong... as usual...
And no Hazmat fees either.

Jim

Last edited:
It depends on where you live and where the order originates. My wife and I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. Some is taxed, most is not.

Aguila Blanca: Wanted to avoid a longer first topic about this, and not appear to be raving about anything-simply confused, so I left this out:

About two weeks ago, I began an ammo order online with either TheAmmuntionStore in OH (very good people I've bought from over the years), or a similar business. I might be mistaken about which specific business.:o

After the order was ready for the mouse click to "Finalize Order" etc, there was no info indicating any sales tax.

Minutes later, a different ammo website (Not in OH) stated the sales tax before a final "Order" button was necessary, so I wondered, no such tax from, for example, OH to TN was required--or not indicated in the appropriate sequence?

"Shipping" might not indicate an exact cost, but for 1,000 rds. of 7.62x39, has fairly recently been about $25, and you then notice the difference in the total price.

Last edited:
Sorry if you haven't gotten the answer you were looking for, but this has to be closed. It is not on topic for this or any forum on TFL. Even though ammo or firearms may be what is being bought online, tax issues are the main topic here and that issue is between the buyer and the online seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back