What S&W revolver did I buy?

rballi

I just got a S&W revolver but I don't exatcly know what it is. It is a blue 4 inch 357 Magnum with barrel lug that goes about halfway to the end, spur hammer and ribbed trigger (not TT, TH). It looks just like a Model 19 and is pinned and recessed, with full size checkedred grips. It does not have a model number on the frame, just a serial number K316### then under the SN a number 2 with a circle around it, and under that an 'E' and a 2 that are seperated. The cylinder assembly has 367## and a G and W seperated. Under the grips, the butt of the gun has the K316### and the side of the grip frame has the 367##.

Any info appreciated.

Roy

Assuming it has an adjustable rear sight, it sounds like a M19 from before the model designations -- aka .357 Combat Magnum. Just a guess, wait for Mike Irwin.

Yes, adj rear sight, ramp front. I think it's a 4 screw model - 2 visible, 1 under the grip, and 1 in front of the trigger guard.

If it has an adjustable rear sight, it's definitely a Model 19, or as Riverdog said, a pre-Model 19 Combat Magnum.

The serial number puts it well before the introduction of the 586, and the 586 had a full-length barrel lug anyways.

I'll check the date for the serial number when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the info! Does this make it more rare or collectible, or just different? How pre is pre? Did model numbers start in 1958? When did the Combat Magnum or Pre M19 start production.

Roy

Well, that sounds about right, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I get home.

As for the number of screws, if it's that old it should be a 5 screw, not a 4-screw:

3 screws in the sideplate, 1 screw in the side above the trigger guard, and 1 screw in front of the trigger guard.

OK, Roy, a little more research on the serial number indicates that this gun was made, literally, weeks or even days before S&W started stamping the Model numbers on the guns around, I believe, October 1957.

Model numbers came in, according to my copy of Supica & Nahaus, at K317822.

There were 11 different models being produced at the same time in the same serial number range, so numbers were being used very rapidly, which is why I think it could have been stamped only a few days before the change over.

I've never seen one made this close to the transition point.

It might have a very small collector premium for that reason.

As for the proper number of screws, you're right, I was wrong.

1955 marked the elimination of the top sideplate screw on most models. Given that the 19 was introduced in 1955, it's very likely that it was designed with the new screw schema already in place.

I thought the earliest Combat Magnums were 5 screws.

I learned something new today about my favorite revolver! :)

FWIW, the "pre-Model Number" Combat Magnums DO carry a "premium" on the collector market...price is dependent on condition and how BADLY the prospective buyer wants the piece...I've seen "As New" or "Excellent-Plus" examples sell at $500-$600 American Cash Money in the past year or two...kinda "pricey", BUT...HOW MANY WERE THERE???....mikey357

Thanks to all for the info!

I took the sideplate off and the innards were spotless and dry as a bone. The muzzle end has about 1/2" of holster wear on it. Inside of barrel is nice and shiny with good rifling. The cylinder chambers had very minor 38sp rings. The grip panels were someones bad attempt at a refinish job, otherwise in good shape. The rear sight was tightened all the way down. No crud under the ejector star or the cylinder assembly. The gun had some freckles on the surface, but no pits. I got most of them off but only put 15 minutes of oil and steel wool on them before having to clean up to go somewhere. Case coloring is still on the trigger (grooved) and hammer. I can't wait to shoot it. Were the Pre M19 built just as strong as the numbered 19's?

BTW, I'll add one more digit to the SN K3166##.

Were the pre-model CMs as strong as the 19s?

Yes they were the same gun. Only thing that changed was the stamping of the model number.

Unfortunatly, adding another number to your serial number won't really help. My lists don't break down that far.

Back