What rings for Ruger Precision Rifle

sandman31774

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I recently got a new Ruger RPR in .308 and plan on mounting a Nightforce shv f1 on it. scope has 30mm tube and 50mm obj. Wondering about what brand rings and what height they should be...thanks!

Well, let's see. I usually recommend rings made by scope manufacturers to my customers, just because. Nightforce makes nice rings, if a bit pricey. Leupold and Burris make very solid rings. Vortex makes very good tactical rings. EGW makes good tactical rings. Pretty much take your pick of any of those and you won't be disappointed.

The brand doesn't make much difference. Any brand name rings will do.
The height will be mostly about you as the stock of the Ruger is adjustable in every direction.
"...tactical rings..." Geezuz. Black with Velcro defines 'tactical'.

I've got rings by Burris, Leupold, DNZ and probably a few others. They all hold good. As far as height, that 50mm lense is probably going to need tall rings (maybe even extra tall).

Depends on your budget and an HONEST assessment of your potential usage...

For a range/hunting gun, you can’t do much better than Burris Zee rings with the plastic inserts. They’ll align themselves to your scope and won’t mar the tube. For $50 there is NO better bargain. If I’m not mistaken, these are used by a lot of sling shooters in the optical sights class. Those guys wouldn’t use them if they didn’t work, but they are not especially hard on equipment.

For heavier usage, like if you’ll ever shoot a PRS match or if the rifle is going to ride around in the back seat of your truck, you won’t go wrong with the NF rings, or for about the same money, try a pair from American Rifle Co. I’ve got a set of the ARC’s on my tube gun and they’re awesome. I got mine for half price years ago, but either of these will set you back around $150-$180.
That’s high, until you consider you’re using them to mate a thousand dollar precision mechanical instrument with a thousand dollar precision optical instrument.

Now if you want to get into the vertical part of the price x quality curve, drop $500 on a Sphur mount and forget all the rest. A little spendy for me, but they say once you buy one, you’ll never go back.

Last edited:
My go to rings are made by Seekins. They also make the rings for Vortex, but they are the same rings and I can usually find the Seekins version cheaper. They are pricey, but rock solid. They come all the heights you will need to get your new scope to fit.

Medium height rings of whichever name brand you decide on. You might get away with low if it’s a gen 2 or 3 but the slight extra height will not be that difficult to overcome and it assures clearance. I have a similar set up and I have the Cortex rings with the NF SHV 1 w/ 56 mm objective lens and I have just enough clearance

Buy ring's made for your rifle that you like the looks of and can afford. Your just mounting a scope on a rifle, it's surely not rocket science!

I have rings and bases, I have lots of both, and then I have tools for mounting bases for scopes. And then I wound up with a Ruger and it came with Ruger mounts that did not require a mount and now I am wondering if the Ruger rifle no longer comes with Ruger mounts

F. Guffey

+1 for Burris Signature ZEE rings with the plasitic inserts.

I have 4 NightForce Benchrest 8-32x56 scopes and I don't want those expensive scopes marred by rings without those plastic inserts.

All four of the rifles with the NightForce scopes shoot lights out, so the rings don't cause any problems.

As for ring height, I depends upon the mount you have on the rifle and the amount of drop to the stock. If your Ruger Precision Rifle has a tactical rear stock with a straight stock line, you might want to look at high or x-high rings. For a stock with a non-tactical drop, you might get away with med-high to high rings with a 50mm front optic.

Back