what rifle with what scope in what caliber?

les_

Inactive
Am looking for a new rifle. Am down to two choices the tikka t3 lite in ss or the remington 700 sps ss. Am also not sure about what caliber i want its either a 270 or 30-;06. And last what scope i have a leupold vx-1 on a mini 30 and i like it but been hearing lots of good things about redfield. Also should i go to a higher magnification if so whish one. thanks every one.

My $0.02:

The Tikka's a fine rifle, with NO questionable AD issues in it's history

The .30-06 is NEVER a mistake

and

It's hard to beat a Leupold VX-1 on an all-around rifle.

I've always liked the '06 because of what I could do with it as a handloader. I like a 3x9x40 scope; 3X or 4X for deer hunting, and 9X for sight-in.

The caliber is a toss up. I like the 270 win for hunting and the '06 for targets (Vintage Military Rifles).

As to rifles, that's a personal choice, I like Winchesters but they aren't listed.

Both Redfields and Weaver scopes are under rated. I like both, even though they don't cost thousands of dollars they work quite well for me.

I would get the tikka over the remington. stainless never really did anything for me, I always found that as long as you take care of your rifle after a hunting trip then blued steel never really rusts and it doesn't pick up nearly as much sun glint but if you are dead set on stainless, more power to you. as for caliber, 30-06 is the most heavily available caliber from the most companies and you will never have to walk into a store and finding it all sold out. 270 is quite popular as well and is probably one of the greatest general purpose rounds out there but even though ammo is pretty much everywhere, you may not have quite as many options as the 06. lastly, scopes. I had a bad experience with a leupold VX1 so I gave it to my brother with the understanding that it was a piece of junk and went out and bought a redfield revolution(which oddly enough is owned and manufactured by leupold) due to recommendations from my brother in law. I love the redfield and heavily recommend them. also another budget scope to look at is the Nikon Prostaff. either way I would recommend a 3-9 unless you are planning long range shots.

Thanks to everybody all of you have been helpfull in some way. Will keep in mind all sugestions.

Since I own a bunch of '06's and have never really had a need or embraced the .270, I'd go with the '06. Ammo for both is readily avialable but in more variety for the '06. There is nothing in NA that you cannot take with an '06 either. It's also easy to handload with a ton of bullet weights, styles, manufaturer's etc to choose from.

Scope wise, you again have a ton to choose from. One mentioned above that I wouldn't overlook is Weaver. I bought one not long ago and turned around an got another one because I was so impressed with the first one.

As to rifle choice, both are good though I'd favor the Tika over the 700 unless I planned to do some modifications to the Remington. I don't like the factory stock or trigger on those guns and the finish on mine left a lot to be desired. Then again, I had plans to modify it from the beginning so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. Why not include a Savage 110, Howa 1500, TC Icon, etc in the choices too. For Savage, I've yet to see one that wasn't accurate out of the box plus they have a pretty good trigger and you can get them in a ton of stock configurations.

Both rifles are good and should come down to which you like best. Handle both and see which feels best to your shoulder.

30/06 or 270 is a question for the ages. I've always prefered the 06 since I handload, lots more bullet weight choices. I also liked that the 06 can shoot heavier bullets since I chase elk and prefer to use 180's over 150's from the 270. With that said I have hunted with people who use 270's and their animals were just a dead as mine.

Lots of good scopes on the market for very reasonable prices. Try and get a lifetime warranty and variable power 3X9.

I have both calibers.
The .270 choice of bullets are generally 130, 140 or 150 grains.

The .30-06 has choices from 150 up to 220 grains and you even can shoot 110 grains with the right loads.

Every rifle has preferences. My 270 is most accurate with 130 grain bullets.

Fortunately, my 30-06 is most accurate with 175 and 180 grain bullets.

That makes it easy for choices on what to carry since both are accurate shooters.

If I need bigger and heavier bullet loads, I take the .30-06. For deer and such, the .270 is great.

I am a firm believer in 270 over the 30-06. if you cant kill it with 270 130 or 150 grain bullet it aint worth shooting. Now on the scope leupold makes very good scopes but there is also other good quality for less money. Redfield is really good glass and have always used simmons scopes. Not many people give simmons much credit but if you are shooting 400 yards and under you wont be dissapointed. The magnification is preference only. I prefer 4-12 or 4-16 both in 44mm. Few more scopes you may want to take a look at is Pentax, BSA (bsa used to be junk but i have 3 of them on 3 different rifles and couldnt be happier for the money), and last but not least centerpoint 4-16x40 this is a cheap mil dot scope but this scope also has the adjustable turrets with a lock ring on bottom. Good luck with your decision.

For an all around rifle it's hard to beat a '06 with a 2-7X or 3-9X (yes I like vanilla ice cream too) the last scopes I've bought were a Bushnell elite and a Nikon neither in that power range but I'm very happy with the glass.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 with a Leupold FX-II fixed 4x on it.

It's my all around whackin' stick. It's about as light as any mountain rifle you'll ever find or build, has a sweet user-adjustable trigger and it doesn't beat the crap out of ya slung across the back while on a wheeler or sno-go.

Took an 8'6" brown bear with it in spring of 2010. Hoping to whack a moose with it next month.

If you get one, swap out the pad for a Limbsaver and swap the OEM scope rings out for a set of Warnes or Talleys. I put Warnes on mine.

I was debating the same choice; I chose the Tikka T3 in .308 and a Nikon 3x9x50 scope. As another poster said, it won't beat you up while carrying. Get a 0 MOA rail and some decent scope clamps. It seems to like the 150 gr soft points best.

What will you do with it? Seems like that is key in any gun purchase.

As the wierdo if the bunch, I kind of like 308 or 243 because it kicks less.

Also, do you reload? If not, it is kind of 30'06 vs all else!

Back