What rifle should I get?

Devon226

Inactive
I am about to graduate college and am getting asked what I want for a graduation gift from my parents. What's a good rifle in the 3-400 dollar range that doesn't use real expensive ammo. I won't be using it for hunting, probably just target shooting. I kinda want something bigger than a .223 also. I don't know much about rifles so I thought I'd ask here. I really like lever actions but it seems like they are pretty expensive. Let me know what you guys think.

That's easy--either Ruger American or Savage Axis 2 in 308, either of which you should find around $350. Ignore all the poop you'll hear heaved on either one--if you're looking for a solid grouping paper puncher for easy-to-find caliber ammo at a budget price--these are the ones.;)

Why are you looking for a big caliber for shooting targets? Unless you're shooting long range targets or want your rifle to double for hunting and/or combat applications, the two tend to work against each other.

This is going a slightly different direction than you're thinking, but what about an accurate .22 LR rifle? That's by far the least expensive ammo, and much more fun to practice with than some beast with big recoil. A 10/22 carbine, rimfire scope, and rings would be in your price range I think.

My S.W.A.G. is a Savage in .223

Devon,
Slightly deviating from your requirements, I'd recommend one of the Savages, in .223. Ammo is readily available and reasonable. Regardless of what you might do in the future, you will never outgrow or get bored with shooting a .223. The Axis is a good rifle but perhaps you might prefer one of their higher grades. Good luck and congratulations. ...... :)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Get you a carbine in 357 magnum. It's a whole lot of fun for not a lot of dollars, you can shoot 38 specials in it also. If you really grow into the hobby, you can hand load your ammo for less than 22 long rifle, and unlike 22 long rifle, ammo is available.

The price of admission may be a little outside your budget, however.

Get you a carbine in 357 magnum. It's a whole lot of fun for not a lot of dollars, you can shoot 38 specials in it also. If you really grow into the hobby, you can hand load your ammo for less than 22 long rifle, and unlike 22 long rifle, ammo is available.

The price of admission may be a little outside your budget, however.
I actually am reloading .357 right now so that might be a good choice. Know any particular ones?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why are you looking for a big caliber for shooting targets? Unless you're shooting long range targets or want your rifle to double for hunting and/or combat applications, the two tend to work against each other.

This is going a slightly different direction than you're thinking, but what about an accurate .22 LR rifle? That's by far the least expensive ammo, and much more fun to practice with than some beast with big recoil. A 10/22 carbine, rimfire scope, and rings would be in your price range I think.
I already have a marlin .22 so I'm just wanting somethin different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm tellin ya son--for between 300 to 400, best shooting, easy to find ammo for, the ruger and savage in 308 can't be beat. And if you change your mind later about hunting--you'll be good to go for about 90% of the game in the US.

The fact you reload widens your chambering options a whole bunch, but $300 to $400 limits said options severely. Just about every BNIB lever action is more than you want to spend. Cabela's(for example. Shop around.) has Marlins starting at $469.99.
However, buying used is a viable option. It's not like buying a used car. Takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern hunting rifle(that's what you're looking at). Savage Axis rifles don't come with sights.
Not all .357 levers feed .38's well. Has to do with OAL. You can load .357 cases to .38 velocities though.

I own more expensive rifles, they look better and offer some advantages. But none shoot any better than this Ruger American Predator in 308. I also have one in 223. For what you want to do I'd suggest 223.

What ranges are you planning for target shooting, and is it informal or some type of competition?

If you want to go bigger than a .223 and want to shoot cheap, .308 is one of the few options. It's not THAT cheap though - you're looking at about $0.60/round plus shipping for decent & reloadable but not match ammo.

I think an axis or an American in .308 are both great choices.

I would also say if there is any flexibility in the budget you should consider a CZ527 chambered in 7.62x39. Ammo would be cheaper than a .308 but still bigger than a .223.

Devon226 said:
I won't be using it for hunting, probably just target shooting...I really like lever actions but it seems like they are pretty expensive.

Devon226 said:
I actually am reloading .357 right now so that might be a good choice. Know any particular ones?

I'd recommend against a lever rifle for your use. They're fun and good hunting rifles, but for target shooting (presumably off a bench) at the range? Not so much. The novelty & romance will wear off pretty quickly.

stagpanther: That's easy--either Ruger American or Savage Axis 2 in 308, either of which you should find around $350. Ignore all the poop you'll hear heaved on either one--if you're looking for a solid grouping paper puncher for easy-to-find caliber ammo at a budget price--these are the ones.

Agree with Stag's recommendation.

For just basic target shooting at reasonable distances, and not much else, with something larger than .223, the 308 Ruger or Savage is a solid choice.

It very much depends on how much shooting you intend to do per range session.
A .308 can wear you down, especially with a lighter weight rifle.
Much harder on the shoulder than .223, with about the same trajectory.
And about twice the price per round.
Just a thought.

A rifle chambered for the 6.5x55, 260 Remington or the 6.5 Creedmoor --- The Tikka T3 or the CZ550 come to mind --- both in the $700 range.

In the price range of $300 to $400 you could purchase some of the rifles suggested already and very accurate for that price point. Only other rifles that I know off hand might be a Mossberg in 30/30 lever action, a Mossberg the Patriot in 308, and I believe there is a Highpoint 4095 in 40 caliber which could offset your budget in buying ammo for this one.

Personally I am a Savage guy and for the money it will always shoot just as good as any other rifle costing several hundred dollars more. I have no experience with the Ruger, so I won't comment positively or negatively against anything. But Ruger is bought my a large number of shooters so that in itself should speak volumes.

The best prices on lever-action centerfires will be used 30-30's. The ammo for it will be cheaper than 308. For an even cheaper price on ammo, a lever-action 357 Magnum will fulfill that requirement nicely, plus, you already reload for it. The 357 rifles generally cost more, initially, than a 30-30. But if you shoot it much at all, the 357 Will end up saving you money. That being said, neither one is really a, "target rifle", if you mean that in the formal sense. And yet, all rifles are target rifles. I shoot quite a bit of paper targets. But those are substitute targets to practice for a real target, one that has hair and antlers to my way of thinking. Therefore, I don't even own a 223, even though it may be an excellent cartridge for varmints and other suitable targets. My preference doesn't mean that you shouldn't have one. I like lever-actions and bolt-actions, too. Different tools for slightly different jobs. Bolt actions are generally a lot more precise for longer shots and open up a whole new realm of capabilities when mated to a suitable scope. Many shooters will spend as much or more on the scope as they will on the rifle. I generally prefer Leupold scopes. On a lever-action I will not have a scope. I'm OK with open sights, but a nice aperture sight is definitely an advantage.

I have a lever-action 30-30 (for hunting closer range) most lever actions are more expensive and most calibers found in lever action will be close range.

.223 and .308 are super common and .223 is VERY cheap, if you want to shoot 50-100 rounds at the range the .223 is what your looking for it wont hurt your wallet or your shoulder.shooting a 100 rounds of .308 is a little insane for "target shooting"

I would suggest a .243, its a larger caliber that wont hurt your shoulder however they are normally a 1$ per round! .223 normally half that. You'll end up shooting a lot more with a cheaper round and 223 will still reach out there. For you situation .223 only makes since unless it HAS to be bigger than a .223 than I'd say a .308 but i would recommend shooting a handful of rounds before you make the purchase, .308 is not huge but its a LONG ways from a 22lr

Back