What Rifle is This?

Yes! It is a Steyr-AUG-SA .223 with fiberglass reinforced Zeytel stock.
Retails for around 1200 bucks, more or less.
This looks like the model with a 14" barrel.
------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

[This message has been edited by Outlaw1 (edited September 23, 1999).]

As I´m living in Austria this rifle is our armys standard rifle.
Great one. Even the left-handed-only-thumbs guy of our platoon hit everything out to 300 m!
A pitty it´s forbidden for the public here in Austria...

[This message has been edited by Alex T (edited September 24, 1999).]

Thought I'd point out a few things. If you check the photo, the soldier hasn't folded down the vertical foregrip on his AUG. He's trying to shoot it like a conventional rifle. It will work, but sooner or later (probably sooner), some sensitive skin will come in contact with a hot barrel and he'll be sorry.

Another little tidbit. I cut a photo out of USA Today earlier this week. It also showed an Aussie peacekeeper in East Timor. But he had a Colt M4 with an Aimpoint red dot on a flat-top receiver and the fore-end had the Knight RIS rail system with a vertical fore-grip attached. I expect he was in a more elite unit and had the opportunity to get the Colt. There must be something about the British Commonwealth and bullpup rifles. The Brit L85 is a boat anchor, and while the Steyr AUG is a fantastic weapon, the Australian built version has had a lot of problems. Poor manufacturing and quality control.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Clearing my throat....

These may have once retailed for $1,200, but in the civilian market they are going for about $3,000 (depending on configuration and furniture color), that is if you can find one.

The bullpup design offers a difficult magazine reloading position since the mag well is so far back. One needs to be double jointed to quickly change mags in one of these babies. You also tend to look down far too much during this exchange when you are doing serious rock and roll work. Sort of like dialing a cell phone in 80 mph traffic.

As a practical field rifle, there are many less exotic, and certainly less expensive pieces available than the Steyr AUG. But if you are a collector who wants to see a return on your investment, these things will only increase in value as they have done since 1994.

Dorsai, I saw that same picture with the m4. But I was thinking, could it in fact be an American, sure we have troops there in a "support" role only, but thats a U.S. spec ops weapon. He is wearing an Australian uniform, but if I remember correctly U.S. troops have fought in a lot of places that we weren't really supposed to be fighting in.
Or he could just be an Australian, and I have an overactive imagination.

Back