What recouse do I have if I got a lemon?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Just TRIED test-firing the Winchester 1300 I got this week. Tried two brands of #4 and two brans of slugs. Identical results: it will feed and fire OK but won't eject 80% of the time. The bolt carrier will move back about an inch or less and the bolt stays engaged. Depressing bolt release really far and using a lot of force eventually gets it back...takes about three to five minutes per shot, happens with all types of ammo.

The kicker is that I can't even take the gun apart to se ewhat's wrong. It is locked up now and the pin that should be drifted out doesn't actually come out. So I can't get the trigger group removed.

At this point, having laboriously fired about twelve rounds over an hour or so, I have zero confidence i nthe gun. Do you think I can convince the store to take the thing back if only for store credit or a different model (870 comes to mind) or what are my other options?

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Depends on where you bought it. Most reputable dealers should return, but might want to trade for another 1300 or send it back the factory for repairs. IMHO the 870 is the best for the money. If you could talk them into trading for one, I would. Maybe go in with powder burns on your face mumbling about a law suit. Nah. :)

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Sent it to Winchester today. The pin that holds the trigger group came out but required much more force that I was willing to use. The chamber was not finished cleanly enough and the shells were hanging on the rough spots. The gun store guy managed to unlock the action and in the process just about tore off the 20ga empty's rim!

Since the 1300 locks the bolt into the barrel extension (a la M16), it is impossible to remove the barrel in case of trouble. Basically it made me wonder about the gun AND my AR15...I'd hate to have this happen when SHTF...moral (?), carry a backup sidearm.

Back