What range...

ttarp

Do you typically shoot your .22 rifles at? I guess I'm looking for some sort of goal to work towards in distance and accuracy. I am using iron sights currently, and don't really have any plans on scoping my .22.

I typically shoot my .22s at 50 & 100 yards. I shot an Appleseed clinic with my nephew a few weeks ago, and it was all shot at 25 yards.

Usually 25 to 50 yards unless I want to really challenge myself and then there's no limit.

But scoped vs iron sights can vary a lot. A bad group with a scope can be a good group with iron sights.

I'm not interested in competing with my .22 rifles, I hunt with them.
Hunting accuracy is what I want & I set my own standards for that.
I want my rifles as accurate as I can get them & that often means ammo
preference.
I shoot at 50 yards max as that's a very far shot on game like squirrels.
I guess my average shot on those critters is 20/30 yards.
I strive for & get 1" minimum at 50 yards from a bench rest. That's with a scope of course. Even .22 Remington Golden Bullets will give me that level of accuracy.
If using only iron sights I'd go for 1 inch at 35 yards and call that good enough.
That's an opinion of course but I think quite practical.
Shooting at 100 & 200 yards is way out of sensible hunting ranges for the caliber but must be super fun to do.

I remember when I said I wasn't gonna scope my .22, lol. Anyways, I shoot mine anywhere between 50 and 200 yds but mainly I stay at 100yds. At 100, I can shoot between a quarter and half dollar sized group, 10 shots. At 200, Im happy with busting clay pigeons.

-Robb

Generally 50 yards does very well, but I do shoot 100 yards on paper. If I was going to hunt at 100 yards or beyond I would use my 22 Mag for better terminal performance.

Jim

My backyard range is 100 feet and gets more use than any other. The spinner targets get far more rounds than paper targets. Where it has been feasible, I have played at ranges to 300 yards or so.

For the range, 80% of my 22lr is shot at 50 yards and 20% is shot at 100 yards.

When out squirrel hunting, I usually limit my shots to 60ish yards.

Actual hunting, etc... probably 15-60 yards.

Sight in distance/target shooting... Generally 75 or 100 yards for scopes; 30-50 yards for iron sights.

I remember when I said I wasn't gonna scope my .22, lol. Anyways, I shoot mine anywhere between 50 and 200 yds but mainly I stay at 100yds. At 100, I can shoot between a quarter and half dollar sized group, 10 shots. At 200, Im happy with busting clay pigeons.

-Robb

I said that too. No scopes don't need them. After years of the Marlin 22 magnum having a scope and the Marlin 22lr collecting dust when I was a kid I now have that Marlin 22lr with a scope and picked up another Marlin Mag and left it scopeless. Had it about a year now and only shot it maybe 15 times. But that's due to ammo availability. The 22lr has probably burned through a brick or two of ammo in the same time.

Scopes are good for targets. Irons are good for soup cans. Now peep sites on the other hand are good for both.

I remember when I said I wasn't gonna scope my .22, lol.

The particular rifle in question I won't scope, sentimental reasons mainly I suppose. Down the road if/when I decide to scope a .22 it will be a different rifle.

I appreciate the responses.

When hunting small game, I consider .22's to be out to 50 yards opensighted and certainly less than 100 yards scoped......... this is for being in the field hunting, not punching paper.

range

Here at the bamahouse I am able to shoot on my own place, Because of where I had to put the backstop, the targets are 107 yds from the shaded (important) firing point next to the house (also important, source for sweet tea).

Down there are two targets, a 8" or so homemade metal gong, and one of those fluorescent orange plastic spinner things with a diamond and a circle, about 2" dia or so. The metal disc gets serves as a challenging target for the peep sighted M44 US, (for me anyhow) and the spinner gets assailed by the heavy barrel Savage on the bipod. Both of those rifles are pretty much dedicated to those targets, ie the Mossberg is zeroed "on" at 107. The Savage is "on" at 100, and typically come up about 4 clicks (depends on the ammo) to hold center on the spinners. I have gotten a real education about wind and a .22 at 100+ yds.

All that said, most all my working/hunting .22's are zeroed on at 50. Until I we settled here, I'd just chunk out a can or whatever and blaze away where ever it could be done safely.

Back in the day...

A *lot* of .22 competition shooting was done at 50 FEET. I'm guessing it hasn't changed as all those indoor ranges were ONLY 50 feet in length.

Those competitors though with their Winchester 52's and Anschutz rifles were hitting what is essentially a period (.) on international targets ten times out of ten in the prone position if they wanted to get an award. In matches that included the sitting position a lot of shooters could do it there too.

Handgun or long gun?

If I'm being serious,,,
25 yards for a handgun,,,
50 & 100 yards for long gun.

My targets are 10" paper plates with a 1" dot in the center.

Aarond

I typically shoot my scoped 22s at 100 yds, and my iron-sighted 22s at 50 yds.

And yes, a lot of us shot at indoor ranges at 25 and 50 ft. The 10 ring is less than 1/2" in diameter, and the X-ring on one of those targets is smaller in diameter than the bullet we were shooting at it. But "cleaning" a target (10 Xs) is very doable, nonetheless.

Back