What protects your long guns - show pics of your rifle cases

flashhole

Hard case?

Soft case?

Sock?

I need another gun case, leaning towards the Plano Airglide. Each long gun gets its own case. My Rem 700 221 Fireball with a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate needs some love.

What cases do you folks like?

Plano #108180 or #108191 usually.
They have been known to go on sale on black Friday. I have seen them for $75 some years.
The game winner brand double wheeled case at academy looks like the same case.

Last edited:
Soft cases.
I have a knock-off Pelican case for handguns. Never use it.
I have a hard rifle case and a blow-molded 'hard' scabbard. Never use them.

If I'm doing something so ridiculous that I need hard cases to protect the rifles, then I'm transporting them the wrong way. (I know there are exceptions and situations where it's necessary - like bush flying - but I don't do that stuff.)

0f7f547b04243b982c7ecf29514d747c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of inexpensive folding, lockable plastic hardcases that provide all the protection I can reasonably imagine could ever be needed. And I use them....sometimes. I actually prefer zippered soft-cases because they are less bulky, convenient, and entirely adequate, most of the time. If I were travelling with a rifle by airline where the rifle was going to be handled by baggage handlers, I would want to use both cases at the same time, and locked after any required official inspection. I'm not sure what the current rules are on that.....

Picked up a Plano 44860 soft case on eBay delivered to the house (that's a big deal where I live) for $39. Decent soft case for the money but I think it is a discontinued model since I can't find them anywhere on the internet.

May still buy a hard case.

I have a mix of hard plastic and soft cases. None are anything fancy or expensive. I don't travel with my long guns. My Garand is in the plastic CMP case it came with and I bought a plastic double rifle case to put my (young) son's 2 long guns in (NEF Pardner 20g single/35rem Marlin 336). The rest are in the same soft cases I've had since my childhood.

They are nice. I bought the case with the rifle. I don't know who made the insert but I know there are foam cutters that can give you the specific foam inserts you need for a particular rifle.

I bought a Barrett that has custom foam for the pelican case, see below. It is nice and considering the cost of the rifle, a bargain around $400. I know of others with nice rifles who have cases that cost double that.

"Things of quality seldom fear time" comes to mind.

Here's the actual case with the Barrett broken down:
Barrett%20in%20case_zps6b5kjof3.jpg

Here's the Barrett in the alternate carrying case: :)

Boomer%20and%20Bluuuu_zpsjgntvefn.jpg

Last edited:
Back