What pressure level is the S&W Governor designed for?

BluRidgDav

Since the Governor can fire .45 Long Colt which has a SAAMI limit of 14,000 psi, .410 shotshells which have a SAAMI limit of 12,500 psi, and .45 ACP ammo which has a SAAMI limit of 21,000 PSI, it would make sense that it was designed around the most intensive of the three. Right?

So, wouldn't .45 Long Colt handloads that don't exceed 21,000 psi be OK? If not, why not? And please explain in at least a semi-scientific manner.

Thanx, Dave.

There is no modern gun out there that is designed for just the pressure of the cartridge and no more. Every one of them will stand significantly higher pressure (proof load) without failure. Otherwise, it wouldn't make it to the dealer.

SO, yes, the S&W will take .45ACP PROOF PRESSURE, SAFELY. How long is anyone's guess, but the guns are made to take the working pressure of the round essentially indefinitely.

So, handloading .45 Colt to .45ACP working pressure won't even be noticed by the gun. You probably could go to an even higher pressure, but what that is, and how long the gun will take it is something that can only be determined by experimentation, and personally, I don't care to "test to failure" things I buy with my own money. :D

My opinion, if you're looking for a .45 Colt to go above max standard pressure loads, you should get a revolver that's been proven to handle them like Rugers or something in .454 Casull.

If you're wanting a revolver that can shoot the hot .45 Colt and .45 ACP using moon clips, Ruger makes a Redhawk that does that. If you're looking for a .410 revolver for snakes... you can get .45 Colt shotshell ammo from CCI. The .45 holds a lot of shot that will take care of a snake.

If you still want a .410 revolver, than get a Public Defender to use as a backup.

There's no reason to test fate in something not built to shoot hot .45 Colt.

Back