What powder do you use?

When I saw the title of your thread, I assumed you meant "What BRAND of powder do you use?"

There is gunpowder and there is that smokeless gunpowder and then there is that immitation gunpowder (Pyrodex, ect) out on the market too.

Anyway I use Goex brand, mostly because it is more available than Elephant brand. The Swiss brand is way too expensive for my budget.

Goex Black Powder in rifles and revolvers. I like the smell. I'm thinking about trying the Clear Shot/Clean Shot tho for the clean-up superiority.

Jim

BP

I use GOEX black powder for all my ML rifles. Works good and price is right.

Willing to try the new Hogdon 777 when I can. Would love to try some Swiss BP, but cannot find a place to buy a can to try.

JPM

If you like Goex try the new Chinese black powder.

It is much cheaper than Goex. It is cleaner and seems to ignite quicker.

Some of our local suppliers have droped both the Goex and the Elephant because so many people after trying the Chinese stuff will not buy the other brands anymore.

I am fairly new to black powder shoooting and I was thinking of buying a 1 LB of Clean Shot, any comments about it. Good, Bad or Indifferent.

I have heard it is a good substitute powder.

Tony

Goex and Pyrodex. It's getting very hard to find Goex around here for a decent price. I can get Pyrodex for $12 a pound, but finding Goex for less than $15 is tough.
Tried elephant once before i heard about the difference in grain size from the Goex standard. That FFg Elephant was DIRTY in my .50!
What are you guys paying for Elephant, Goex and this new Chinese stuff that I've never heard of?

In my opinion the Chinese is better than Goex.

I paid about $4.75 for the Chinese and about $6 to $7 for Goex.

They are robbing you.

Cornbread2: not to challenge you, but please qualify your opinion. I'm curioius and have never tried Chinese powder.

Myself, I use Goex in 2F, 3F and 4F. No blackpowder cartridge guns (OK, I have a trapdoor) and all mine all muzzleloaders.

$6-7 per pound?! Is this when purchased in 1# lots, or in bulk?
People wonder why I go to gunshows instead of the local gunshops....
Oh well. I just found a source for cheap #11 CCI caps. Bought 1000 for $23. that should last me a little while.

I shot Goex for years. There is nothing wrong with it.

A lot of our local shooters were trying the Chinese powder and they all liked it.

A friend gave me a pound to try and I really liked it.

My flinter was so much quicker with the Chinese powder than Goex or Elephant. I can use FFF in the barrel and the pan and it is quicker than using FFF Goex in the barrel and FFFF Goex in the pan.

It does not seem to foul nearly as bad a Goex but fouling is never a problem if you use my lube. I can shoot the dirty old Elephant with heavy loads all day and never have to clean between shots.

A friend that still uses wonderlube that changed over to the Chinese powder now says he does not have as much problem with fouling that he used to have with Goex.

I do not have a cronograph but the same charge of Chinese powder seems hotter than the same charge of Goex.

A friend has a caplock that always gives him problems with hangfires and missfires when it gets dirty. It always screwed up untill he started using the Chinese powder.
Now he can shoot all day without a problem.

About a month ago we went to our powder supplier to buy a few cases. He no longer keeps Elephant and he said that when his stock of Goex is gone he will not order any more of it.
He said that most everyone that tries the Chinese powder will not buy the Goex again.

We bought a bunch of the Chinese.

Thanks Cornbread. Guess I'll try it out after all. Guess after all those thousands of years of making firecrackers they'd get it right. ;)

Last edited:
A few years ago some of the guys bought a few cases of the Elephant powder.

Most of these guys didnt like it because it was so dirty. Just two or three heavy charges would make their rifle impossible to load so they gave me almost a case of it.

This was fine with me because with my patch lube fouling is not a problem. I can burn a whole lb of it in one day and the last shot loads as easy as the first.

I burnt all this powder and I really liked it.

I decided to buy some more of this powder and found out they had "improved" it.

Now it is not consistant as far as the size of the grains. A can of FFF will look like FF and some FF will look like FFFF. Most were not getting good accuracy with it.

You might do a shearch for Dragon brand powder and find some info.

We paid about $4.35 a lb by the case or about $6 a lb by buying single cans.

You can contact Cormans Sporting 904 east main street,
Standford Ky 40484.

Triple 7

Any of you folks tried the new Triple Seven from Hogedons yet? I've been hearing some good things about it. I was just wondering if any of you has had any experience with it? I shoot both GOEX and Pyrodex now. If what I'm hearing about Triple 7 is true I might switch to it.

Back