What "politics" should be?

azredhawk44

I just heard about this group this weekend.

http://www.unity08.com/

The basic premise of these folks is that politics is too partisan, the in-fighting is too fierce, and we all need to come to the middle.

Let me propose the theory that all of the great leaders of our country's founding and early days would be saddened and sickened by such an idea.

Representative government is intended to take a group of people with similar concerns, have them elect a representative, and use that representative as an agent for change in government. When that representative makes "deals" or "compromises" while acting in a law-making or law-enforcing capacity, he has broken his contract with his representative constituency.

Even during the height of the greatest legislative animosity our country has ever faced just prior to the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression, whichever you prefer), law makers in Congress stalked the halls of the Capitol Building and stood on the floor of the House and Senate with pistols in belt - so strong was their personal conviction regarding the dire issues of the 1850's and 1860's. Sharp words were said, shouting matches arose that make any partisan issue of today appear to have trivial merit in comparison.

But no one (to the best of my knowledge) was killed over their politics prior to the declaration of southern independence, the emancipation proclamation and the commencement of the civil war.

My question to anyone whom could possibly represent or otherwise speak for "Unity08" is: Why is government NOT worth fighting for? For those who care, our laws of the land are issues of great merit and worth lengthy and exhaustive debate. Honest representation that strives to obtain the best benefit for a particular representative's constituency is the only true duty of an elected member of Congress or a President... why would this group dream that anything less than full representation of interested parties suffices for Americans?

I'm just disgusted by our excessive PC-ism that we cannot even initiate conflict in politics of all places... the core purpose of Freedom of Speech and of the Press is so that intelligent and purposeful debate can be made in regards to lawmaking.

Now people have to try to re-invent electioneering so that we eliminate the idea of voting one's beliefs? We now HAVE to vote for a compromise under the philosophy of those who began "Unity08?"

My question to anyone whom could possibly represent or otherwise speak for "Unity08" is: Why is government NOT worth fighting for?

Because the government exists as a tool for me to use, a tool that helps me resolve conflict without having to fight. As far as I'm concerned effective politics is impossible without compromise.

I'm sick and tired of both parties being pushed around by the likes of moveon and Evangelical Christians. No one who speaks for the vast majority of us in the middle can speak honestly and make it through the primaries.

of no consequence

I checked out Unity08's website when I first heard of them. Since I seem to be "right" on most issues and "left" on a few, I was interested.

(Don't worry--on firearms, I'm slightly to the right of Charlton Heston. I sometimes watch Keith Olbermann, but only for dry-fire practice.)

Anyway, if you check out their site, you'll find that though they talk about centrism, most of the people that post there are pretty far to the left. Some are orbiting Neptune.

Back