What pocket knife to look at? Lost my Benchmade 7--something

wild cat mccane

Hey all,

My Benchmade pocket knife was stolen when our car was stolen a bit ago. I don't recall what model as it was gifted. It had 7 something on it and it was more expensive than I would have put towards it. Had a metal pointed end on the handle I didn't care for.

I'm looking to replace it with something good. Reading online about Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. I know it's the knife, not the company. I don't care which company it comes from. I don't know how I feel about that hole in the blade on the Spyderco but wouldn't rule it out if it were better than other options.

I know nothing about folding knifes and would just prefer someone to point me in the direction of a good one to buy on Amazon or whatever :) Let's say 100-200 dollars. Straight blade. G10 pretty grips if possible for fun. General purpose.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

The metal tip on the end? Automotive glass breaker, very good to have. With Benchmade knives, do not attempt to strip down (only can be done properly by shipping it back, they sharpen and reassembly for free) you pay to ship, they ship back for free.
Can be opened with one hand, slick.

What is the purpose of this knife? Potential defense? Just cutting things? Cleaning fingernails? Many years ago the best pocket knife decision I ever made was to figure out exactly what I actually used (or wanted to use and couldn't) my knife for. Turns out the right decision for me was a medium-sized Swiss Army knife. I have zero need to ever consider it a defense weapon so for me, it was a matter of figuring out what "tools" I needed to have in my pocket. Good luck with your search.

Much like Doyle, I've got several Swiss Army knives. I've customized them quite a bit and keep one in each of my range bags.

But my EDC knife is a Spyderco Native 5 with a partially serrated blade. I love it. It's extremely light, sharp as hell, and the S30V steel keeps an edge quite well. The only thing is that I have to make sure that it doesn't get really dull - or it's a real pain to sharpen. Oh...and the Spydie Hole is a brilliant touch for one-handed opening.

To a certain extent, the companies do have their niche and can be characterized a bit, so it's not entirely just about a given knife rather than the company.

I have Benchmades, Spyderco, Gerber, Ontario Knife Company, Kershaw, and was even gifted a ZT (fancy pants division of Kershaw).

The guys who recommended you to identify what you want out of the knife were right. But assuming you are trying to EDC this thing, here's what my go to's have been. My price range is usually less than yours and I've found plenty of suitable choices each with their specialty.

Here's how I think of things:

Shorter blade = more convenient carry, but more cuts when used to prepare food for the kids. Yes I wash my knife before using for food.

These are my go to's I have settled on so far.

Short blades: Benchmade 550 (mini griptilian, G10 version is 550-1?), Kershaw Skyline (not Lefty friendly but long blade for the weight/size), Ferrum Forge Gent (good slicer), Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in ZDP (tiny slicer)

Longer blades: OKC Rat1 in D2 with Benchmade deep carry pocket clip (sturdy liner lock, straight blade / handle), Spyderco Manix 2 Light Weight ( a lot of blade for the weight, strong lock mechanism, but takes up a lot of pocket space) older Cold Steel Recon 1 clip point, Large (strongest lock mechanism, light, G10), Benchmade griptilian full size (very comfortable handle).

If you are looking for something to fidget with, get a flipper or some kind of mechanism for convenient 1 handed closing like the Benchmade Axis lock.

If you are looking for defense, Cold Steel Recon 1 in Large size is a great balance of light weight, lock strength, good G10 grip (most sand them just a tiny bit, it's aggressive if you don't).

Spyderco and Benchmade have a huge variety. Benchmades seem a bit pricey for what you get, I think you kind of prepay for the customer service you would receive if you send it in. I didn't like the idea of the Spydie hole at first either, but there is less precision required when you need to open it compared to a thumb stud, and the hole edges are just sharp enough to grab your skin / thumbnail to ensure opening. Just take note though, some designs like the Manix 2 Light Weight, in addition to making space for the opening hole, it has a leaf shape blade which takes up even more space in your pocket laterally, so I have less room for other things. A straight blade and straight handle take up less space after being folded.

Just noticed you specified straight blade with G10. Then have a look at Cold Steel Recon 1 clip point, tanto point (if you're into that) or for a more civilian friendly look the American Lawman. The ultimate experience would be if you can find a knife shop, they will usually let you handle them and try open / close a few times.

Last edited:
knives

Some random thoughts on pocket knives:
-steels don't matter that much to me on an EDC folder. Stainless is nice and more trouble free, but I take care of my knives and a bit of cleaning and maintenance does not bother me on a knife that I'll see and manage on a daily basis. If it needs cleaned, sharpened, I'll just do it as needed.
-as I stated recently on these forums, as boyscout as it sounds, I carry a Victorinox Tinker most of the time. Enough blade for most tasks, and the drivers, tweezers, etc are darn handy, all in a package one can drop in your pocket and forget about 'till needed. A bit nerdy, not tactical, but useful as all get out.
- for a simple, folding pocket knife, I see nothing wrong with any of the domestic, US made traditional , big name pocket knives, ie, Case, Buck and the older US made Schrades. For every day, I figure a pocket knife should fit in your pocket, NOT in a belt pouch, and clips are OK too.
- the pocket clip is now the way, and the convenience of one hand opening is undeniable, but 'till one handers became common, everybody got by just fine with using two hands. A locking blade is nice for a knife that may see some heavier use, but again, not a necessity.
-some other knives I like, the Spyderco Endura, Case Sodbuster in both sizes, and vintage Schrade single and two blade Trappers

Funny that you carry a Tinker Bamaranger. I almost bought that model years ago but chose the Climber (or equilivant that was sold 20 years ago) because I wanted it to have a corkscrew - a tool I have had to call upon several times.

Any knife I carry is going to be used for any number of purposes from opening boxes to cutting zip ties to stripping wire. I don't want a blade that's so hard you can't sharpen it or a stainless blade that will never be truly sharp. I carry a carbon steel Case Trapper. Get is as dull as a butter knife and with a little work you can use if for a straight razor.

I've carried a Case medium stockman CV for over 50 years for general knife needs. Not the same one as they get lost. When I feel the need for something bigger, I slip a clip-on in my back pocket. These days it's a ZT 350, a heck of a knife.

I don't have anything fancy. I like the KaBar Dozier Design knives. I will sometimes just drop my Opinel No 8 in my pocket.

Once upon a time, CRKT made a two bladed knife, muskrat configuration, one blade straight edge, one blade all serrated. Must not have sold well, I saw them on close out and did not move fast enough to get one.

If you're willing to go $100+ I'd go with this too.

Benchmade Barrage for EDC, no matter what their politics!

The Presidio or Mini Presidio is another good option. The Presidio has slightly better steel. The Barrage is assisted opening. That is something you either love or hate. Considering the better steel of the Presidio and better handle material it is a better buy unless you need assisted opening.

The Barrage fits pretty much in between both Presidio's. You may find the full size a bit much for EDC. Look at the Mini version for EDC.

https://www.smkw.com/benchmade-presidio-ii

https://www.smkw.com/benchmade-580-barrage

https://www.smkw.com/benchmade-575-1-mini-presidio-ii

Back