I have
a .22 long rifle,
a 30/30 model 94
a 308 M1A
a 12 ga. pump
a 10 ga. single shot
a 9mm rifle, yes rifle
a 3" GP100 for side arm carry.

I think that I have deer, turkey, hogs, rabbits, squirrel, and black bear covered. I'd like to get some coyote if I ever get the chance.

Is there another rifle or pistol that I need to buy for hunting anything that lives in Ga, Al, Tenn, or the Carolinas? Or, to put it another way, what won't these kill at 300yds or less? BTW, I've never taken a shot at over 200 yards, just hasn't happened yet.

Id say a .223 or a .22-250 for coyotes . You could shoot them with a .308 or the 30/30 but there wouldn,t be much left .

Say 9mm rifle :eek: . Is this a custom job or something . Tell me more .

Thanks
Bob

That I know of, Ruger, Kel-Tec, and Ingram (Mac-11) all make 9mm rifles. Mine is the $250 Mac-11. It is basically the Mac with a rifle stock, and 16 inch barrel added to it. It has an aluminum barrel guard on it. Before you laugh too much, the booger is capable of putting them in a 6 inch circle at 50 yards from the standing position, all day long. It is very reliable also. I wanted a camp carbine, and didn't want to pay Ruger prices for it.

.222 Rem. Magnum or a .220 Swift for those long, reach-out-and-touch-something shots. Little bigger? .243. Anything more than that, your .308 should handle nicely.

Reach-out-and-touch the coyotes

Capt. Charlie beat me to it. I was going to say the .243. I like the Ruger M77 MkII Target. Heavy bbl, heavy stock, lovely trigger, get-used-to-it finish, and gnat-whisker accurate.

+1

Gotta go with the guys on this one. Go smaller and higher velocity, .223, .243. or .270. All would do the trick.

.222 Rem. Magnum or a .220 Swift for those long, reach-out-and-touch-something shots
unless you reload you can't buy ammo for a .222 mag anymore. if i were you i would go for a .223, cheap ammo, and it has more "pop" than a .22lr or similar but is about the same to shoot.

I guess that now I need to get that NEF handi rifle in 25-06 that I have had on my mind. You know, a .243 on steroids aint a bad idea. I'll just tell my wife that the boys at TFL said I needed it. :D

.243 on steroids, eh?

Ya want the .243 on steroids, eh? Try the .243 WSSM. I've been wanting to hear from someone who has one.

I can tell you for bigger cartridges, the .300 WSM is a .30-'06 on steroids, and gnat-whisker accurate to boot! Not so big, however, as to be a shoulder-punishing belted magnum, no not for me!

you neeeeed and i do mean need a fast light caliber.

i dont care which caliber it is personally but if i were buying it would be an H&R ultra-hunter: -heavy barreled
-laminate stocked
-and of course in .243

id get a caliber that makes a good deer round as well as yote round such as the .243 .25-06 .270 6.5X55 and so on and so on

load it with light fast bullets for yotes and slightly heavier better constructed rounds for deer.

Many years ago I had a uncle who was a gunsmith!
As a kid I asked him what was the best Cal /Rifle combo (after much thought)He replied.......Don't know!!!!!!! Try em all & God knows I have :D & I'm still going ! So many rifles & so little money :(

Dave

How about this:

Remington 7600 in .243. Pump-action, so you'll get a different rifle action and a new caliber! It will make a nice addition to go along with that pump-action shotgun.

I've got an H&R/NEF UltraHunter in .243 and I absolutely love it! Also, if you go the H&R/NEF route, you can always get into that wonderful barrel accessory program!! Tired of your .243/.270 and want something bigger? Get a swappable barrel in .30-'06 for $80. Mmmmmm..... :D

If you're into reloading and are trying to keep your logistics under control, the .243 can be reloaded by necking down the .308 cartridges you already own. Once-fired military brass should do just fine (or so my sources tell me, I haven't personally done it).

The runner up is the .223; a light sporting rifle in this caliber would be good on coyote-size game. I personally hunt with my AR-15 HBAR sporter for Javelina (legal here in Arizona with a 5-round magazine). Something like this would then give you a back-up or secondary fighting weapon, in addition to hunting applications.

Hmmmm, maybe you need TWO more rifles. ;)

I agree, 2 rifles cause you nesk the 308 down to 243, then neck em down to 22-250. If you just need 1 I vote 22-250, reach out and touch something.
~z

I just had to say it: 45-70 Government to gut your prey....

I also recommend the 22-250 I own one, it's a GREAT gun and it's accurate and QUICK. As old as it may be I have an old pump action 35 remington (beautiful), it's WELL worn after 3 or 4 generations but it still shoots straight with iron sights and has ample knockdown power. It's killed several deer

No one else has said it so I will.

A loaner rifle (or couple/three). Just for those folks who are good enough friends to ask, but not good enough that you'd feel good letting them out of the house with one of your babies that you'd really not like to loan out. Sometimes a stopgap rifle will let you say yes and not having to worry about it, and keep em from pestering you into saying yes to one of your babies.

You can't have too many guns. :D

Your .30-30 or .308 should both do it, but if you want something more specialized (just because ;)), I'd say a bolt action .223. Light recoil, flat shooting, cheap, readily available ammo.

Back