what NOE mold to get?

riverratt

Today I was surprised to finally see that NOE has some new molds available in .432, one of which I have been eyeballing for a wile. The one that I have looked at for a wile is the 265 RG GC (RD) mold. Another that caught my eye is what looks to be a 265 gr Keith style bullet, also available as an RG mold.

Now I'm torn between the two, and I'm asking for y'all's advice? Providing they will shoot good I'm planning on using the hp design as a woods carry round, mainly a backup to my rifle wile deer hunting. the cup point I plan on using in my larger revolver for hunting and in my 44 mag rifle for hunting. The flat point will be used IF I determine any of the above to provide insufficient penetration or just too much hassle to produce.

Another question I have is: what is the quality of NOE like? So far I have only dealt with Lee molds and have.... well gotten what I expected for the price. One cavity is a couple thousands larger then the other and both cavities are out of round. Surely NOE provides a much higher quality mold then that, right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I can't speak for which design you should get. You would probably be happy with either and once you try an NOE mold would probably get the other one in short order. NOE is light years ahead of Lee in terms of quality and performance. They are very worth the price and The proprietor of NOE is a stand up guy who will do whatever he can to resolve any issues you do have. He even let me exchange a mold I had already cast with for the gas check version when I discovered I did want gas checks.

I have three of his molds and all of them pour like rain if your doing your part.

Mine were all purchased second hand but still produce great bullets. I doubt you will be disappointed with your choice. Pick one to try and you will probably be picking the other up, like mentioned above, in short order.

Thanks guys.

I ordered the 432 265 RG2 (RD) today with a pair of mold handles. If I really like it, I'm looking at a 200 gr RF 4 cavity mold. Just something to load around 1000 fps or so (whatever gets me closest to my POA) for plinking and the kids.

Ain't it funny, I get a kick every time my 9 and 10 year old shoots one of my 44s. They handle it like a champ. I can't say the same for most of the people that have shot it. Heck a buddy of mine let it come back and split his forehead with the hammer. I was laughing to hard to be mad about him dropping my gun.:D

I held off my comments, since I haven't actually cast with, or fired, any of the 265 RDs yet.

But....

Nice choice!
I have one of the NOE-made 265 gr Ranch Dog RG molds around here, somewhere. I picked it up for .444 Marlin and .44 Mag, but have not, yet, been able to get my casting gear set back up. So, it's still a virgin.
I don't even remember if it was a 2-cav or 4-cav mold. :rolleyes:

Wait... I think I see it hiding in the corner, over by my box of molds and handles. Excuse me while I work my way through the clutter.

Yep, that's it! It's a 2-cavity. :D

(Yes, that really did just happen. It wasn't just for dramatic effect. ;))

I got my mold yesterday. I couldn't wait so I cleaned it up, heat cycled it three times and smoked the cavities. Then I went to bed. (I work nights) when I got up I had to warm up the pot and cast a few.

I must say that the mold seems to be very high quality. I got good boolits after about 5 cast. I did not get a chance to weigh any yet but with a 20-1 alloy of lead and tin both cavities dropped at .433.

The only issue I ran into was both cavities are a bit "sticky" but that's to be expected from a new mold. (I guess)

I tried downloading some pics but for whatever reason I can't seem to get them on photobucket so I dunno.:confused:

Back