what nfa item is the most useful

im gunna be controverial here..
Most useful.. one word comes to mind.. versatility..
The M16 is the most versatile weapon of all times.. therefore im going to say its the most useful, as it can be converted to nearly any calibur id ever want to F/A... and it looks good doing it :cool:

I don't think any of them are abnormaly useful for legitimate civilian purposes. If you ask me, they are just harmless toys which provide great fun.

Suppressors and SBSs

I disagree. It seems to me that both suppressors (especially on rimfires) and short barreled shotguns (SBS) have a lot of utility. They are the NFA items whose NFA-ness annoys me the most.

I'd like to be able to do some target practice with a .22 pistol while talking at a conversational volume. Under current laws, non-NFA shooters have to take careful precautions to avoid hearing damage -- over the long haul, many don't escape it. This is a public health cost. The USA is pretty neurotic about suppressors: my understanding is that a fair number of generally gun-phobic European countries allow or even require suppressor use for some types of shooting.

Similarly, while I like my 18" Remington 870 for home defense, I would like it more if it were just a bit shorter and easier to maneuver with -- say a 14" to 16" barrel. LEOs seem to agree; they use short shotguns a lot. The NFA shotgun barrel restriction should be lowered from 18" to 16", as was done decades ago for rifles.

On the other hand, I don't personally see much practical use for the AOW short shotguns without a stock. Figure I'd just break my wrist and still miss the target. I want a stock.

(OK, practical or no, the Serbu Super Shorty (AOW) is still cool. :cool: Make mine a 20 gauge.

http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm )

Most useful for what? If you've got a horde of thousands of zombies shuffling forth, obviously a supressed .22 isn't the best tool...in situations like that you probably want a battery of 105mm howitzers...or lots of claymores.

For general security uses...well, indoors, I'd go with shorty shotguns. That Serbu Super Shorty is a cute little fella...now I kinda want one...

IMO, the Colt M16A1....

Mine shoots .223 and .22LR, both on semi or full auto. Has 30-round magazines for both calibers. It has a collapsible stock and full sized stock, 12.5" barrel and 20" barrel and a sound suppressor for both calibers.

Has an endless number of attachments, including uppers from 9mm to .50BMG, flashlights, laser sights, scopes, grenade launcher and even a 12 gauge shotgun that attaches to the bayonet lug.

As such, it can be used for defense or offense, both at home or in the field. Fills the roll of a SHTF firearm for survivability.

The most useful, and used, gun I have is an NFA item.
I have two SMGs, two suppressors, and an AOW (mini-maglite in .380). By far, the most used is the suppressed bolt action .22 rifle.
I sure use it more often than anything, and I imagine it gets more rounds through it than anything also.

I have a couple of Newbold self-sealing swinging targets on a stand at the edge of our woods at the back edge of the yard. It's 58 yards from the back door, and I stand on our deck and shoot at them with the "whispergun" a few times a week minimum.
If I have five minutes, I can grab that riflle and shoot a few rounds.
The neighbors on either side have never said a word.

It's an extra little bit of practice that I might not get without the quiet gun.

I thing a machine gun. Suppressors are great, but they don't shoot!
I like my MP5K!
MP5KBeta.jpg

or my M4
M4POFweb.jpg

Back