What new rifle products would you like to see next century?

Chad Young

Here is an interesting discussion question: what new rifle products would you like to see next century? What innovations would you like to see? Here is my list:

1. M1 carbine rifles in other calibers, especially pistol calibers. I would love a carbine in .357SIG!
2. An American-made SKS with a few changes: Fixed 5-round mag, cross-bolt safety, and integral scope mount built into the receiver.
3. A good-shooting .308 semi-auto that does not cost over $1,000.
4. Ruger PC-series carbines in .357 Sig and .45 ACP.
5. Scopes with built-in range measuring capability. Just put cross hairs on target and get the range in an LED readout at the bottom of the reticle.
6. A sub-$500 .223 rifle aimed at the personal and home defense market.
7. Barrels for high-power cartridges that feature a metallic liner inside a graphit or other composite sheath. This would make trucking that 7mm Rem Mag rifle through the mountains much easier!
8. Bolt action or lever action rifles chambered in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

What would be on your list?

Magnum length receivers from savage in 375, 416 etc. (in stainless please)

"sporting" semi auto 223's (like a remington 7400 that take M-16 Magazines or a 7400 that takes M14 magazines.)

inexpensive holo/scout sites for those of us on a budget.

Better distribution from CZ america of thier fine rifles.

a NEW US made M-1 carbine in 357 magnum that can use existing pre-ban magazines.

an "affordable" double rifle with solid metallurgy. (say in .470 nitro?)

oh and MORE 223 AK's.. those are the coolest.

ah well..

a guy can dream right??

Dr.Rob

I'm waiting for a caseless rifle/pistol to go mainstream. The last attempt was a handgun/hunting pistol by some company (the name has left me). Too bad for HK and their flopped G11, the idea was a sound one!

A Remington/Winchester/Weatherby scout rifle that uses a pedestal barrel instead of a (imho) prone-to-falure bolt on mount. Oh, and if it has bases to accept traditional optics that would be good too.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Chad,
A lot of your wish list is already on the market.
To wit:
1. M1 carbine rifles in other calibers, especially pistol calibers. I would love a carbine in .357SIG!

IAI already has a new carbine coming out in 5.7 Johnson, which is the .30 cal case necked down to .223.
There was also a shortlived attempt at doing them up in .45 win mag by some other company, but they had a tendedncy to blow up which was widely considered undesirable.

5. Scopes with built-in range measuring capability. Just put cross hairs on target and get the range in an LED readout at the bottom of the reticle.

Nikon already offers a laser range finder scope. Wholesale price is about $699.00 if memory serves.

7. Barrels for high-power cartridges that feature a metallic liner inside a graphit or other composite sheath. This would make trucking that 7mm Rem Mag rifle through the mountains much easier!

The Carbon One company offers composite graphite/stainless barrels in a wide variety of calibers, as well as finished rifles built with the barrels. The Carbon Cannon is available in Magnum chamberings.

8. Bolt action or lever action rifles chambered in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

CZ already offers some 7.62x39 bolt guns, as does Ruger and a couple of others.
Do not look for lever guns soon, as no one is loading these rounds with flat nosed bullets.

PVQ,

An informed source of mine told me that Glock has a few prototype pistol-caliber carbines in the works, but they are trying to work out some design and legal issues.

You see, since it could take pre-ban mags, it would be unimportable due to Slick Willie's recent "bending" of the sporting purposes test. I do expect eventually to see a full array of pistol-caliber carbines for sale by Glock, but only after they can tool up production here for it.

I will be attending a Glock shooter's club event in a couple of weeks. I will see what info I can dredge up on this.

Utility rifles! With the demonization of semi-autos, we need bolt-actions with medium weight barrels, detachable magazines, and iron sights (preferably peep rear) that can also take a scope. Think of a SMLE #4 in .308 and carbine length and you got the basic concept.

Squirrel-bait good idea! modern design with eazy scope mounting.
How about a bolt gun that accepts m-14 mags ,i could even live with a 10rd mag

A cheap box fed bolt action .218 BEE, set up for a scope!
Note on the cheap part ;)

A new president who will overturn the magazine ban!

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

Kel-Tec Folding Rifle in .45acp, or 7.62x39.

Folding or take down rifles for easy discreet storage and transport.

A newly discovered source of reliable and affordable pre-ban hi-cap mags. Maybe a giant garage sale somewhere.

Bigger loopholes in assault weapons ban.:P

------------------
Teach a non-shooter to shoot. Educate a voter.

I think the one I'll work on will be a revolver style rifle with intelligent use of all the latest materials throughout. It would come with multiple barrel inserts and cylinders all with quick changeability to any rifle or pistol caliber you desire. It would have different stocks, pistol grips and barrel length configurations available in the kit. Maybe even some system of lining up multiple cylinders in a row like a big magazine or a rotating group of cylinders.
All extremely lightweight materials.

The key would be that in tomarrows world you could fire whatever ammo was available. Hell,in home defense mode it could be a 12 gauge revolver with just enough barrel to hang on to.

Our elected officials wouldn't know what to do with a tactical, assault, multi caliber, lightweight, transportable without magazines,that doesn't rust and won't jam. They would probably come up with an inclusion law called a confusion law.

Anybody want to tackle this project with me? Sounds goofy enough to work.

hmmmmmm.....What about an autofeed mechanism into the rotating cylinder, sort of the opposite of a gattling gun. I think maybe I've been working too much and need to get some sleep.

Maybe we need to look in a totally new direction. Kind of re-invent the entire concept of "Firearms". Or maybe combine some really old and new technology. Given the recent laws in California regarding reloading and ammunition, we need to forego that part of the process all together. How about making use of already naturally existing gases such as hydrogen and oxygen and re-thinking the concept of what constitues a projectile. Perhaps a heavy liquid or even a liquid in it's frozen state. Something that is frozen at our normal temperatures and breaks down with the heat generated during impact. Maybe an extreme high pressure gas as a propellant is another possibility.

I guess what I'm saying is that the greatest firearms in the world don't mean a damn thing if law prevents ownership. Maybe we need to go backwards here. Since laws are written from a reactionary standpoint, let's look at the laws and design around that. It has been a while since any major basic changes have occurred in firearms technology.

Just another goofy idea from me.

Back