What modifications are permitted on the Glock pistol for IDPA?

Alex Johnson

This summer I compeated for my first time in IDPA with a G22. I am hooked on the sport and will definitely do it again next summer, but there are a couple things that I would like to have done to my G22 in the meantime. I was looking at the IDPA site and they said that you cannot do any external modifications to the pistol other than changing sights or grips, but would this include going to the extended mag and slide releases? Other than this in addition to changing the sights and having a lighter trigger installed those are about the only things I can think of to do to my Glock.

You sure about that? :rolleyes:

I would think they were allowed but you would have to compete in ESP. To stay in SSP you can do stuff like a trigger job, change sights, change grips, put a match barrel in, and change springs. You can basically do almost any internal modification to it but the outside of the pistol has to be the same except the grips and sights. That's my understanding of the whole thing. I don't shoot a Glock though, just Berettas so don't take my word for it.

I'm almost positive you can change the sight and mag releases but you have to fall under ESP, hence enhanced. ESP is harder because people are more competitive. But just because you have an ESP gun doesn't mean you're going to beat all the SSP guys. At the 2000 nationals Ernest Langdon caused quite an upset when he shot his SSP Beretta and came out 1st overall, beating all the guys in ESP and CDP with their crazy guns.

My Beretta model (Elite 2) comes stock with a extended mag release from the factory so it's ok. If you really want to get serious with IDPA I would consider a G34 my friend.

ESP does not allow extended mag releases, neither does CDP..

Unless, it seems they are a factory option.

The only mention of extended slide releases is that if it is a factory option, it is okay. Presumably other than that it is not.

Says right in the latest rulebook.

The Rulebook (LGB=Little Green Book) says the Glock extended slide stop is OK on any SSP Glock because it is a factory option. And that extended mag catches are not.

BUT, I think, repeat THINK, there has been one of those irritating e-mail rulings that the mag catch is now also a factory option and is therefore allowed in SSP. If it really matters to you, e-mail HQ and ask. But a friend of mine tried it, dropped his magazine inadvertently a couple of times, and went back to the regular button. Which is why IDPA didn't approve them in the first place; not something you want on a fighting gun.

Extended slide stops and mag releases are allowed in SSP. The parts must be factory Glock and not aftermarket. The extended mag release is just a G21 release.

Back