What model of Browning/FN is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty_Handicap

My dad has an old Browning "9mm" (I'll explain the quotes later) handgun that was given to him decades ago by a friend of our family. Rumor is that the gun was used by the family friend to help smuggle Jews out of Germany during WWII. Anyway, I've tried to learn about this gun, but have had trouble finding any resources on the web about it. My dad lives far away from me, so he e-mailed me a jpeg of the gun, but I can't figure out how to include pictures in a post. The markings on the gun read:
FABRIQUE-NATIONALE-D’ARMES de GUERRE-HERSTAL-BELGIQUE. Below is engraved BROWNING’S-PATENT. On the reverse side is stamped number 28327. The 9mm was in quotes because modern 9mm does not fit in the gun. When the friend gave him the gun, he gave him some old ammo with it. I mean, this stuff must be as old as the earth itself. 9mm cartridges will fit into the magazine, but when you attempt to insert the magazine, the bullet extends beyond the opening in the stock. I'm hoping to tell my dad a little about the history of his gun, so any help you folks could offer would be much appreciated. If someone can quickly tell me how to put a photo in the post, I'd be happy to include that, too. Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving.

[This message has been edited by Thirty_Handicap (edited November 24, 1999).]

I have done a little research. If the pistol is an FN Model 1903 it will be a "Hammerless" design and will have a slide release on the right side. The serial number is in a range used for Model 1903s.

Short Birsts--
Bravo. I finally went to the bookstore and did some old-fashioned research, rather than just relying on the internet. Turns out that one website that had a picture of the 1903 had the wrong picture, so I was skeptical about your guess at first (sorry). I looked through Jane's Identification book and the gun is, in fact, a Browning 1903, made by FN. I guess it is chambered for the "9x20SR Browning Long", which I also saw referred to as the 9mm Browning long. I guess my next question is "what is the 9mm Browning long"? Is this something that can be found in a store? As I mentioned, modern 9mm doesn't fit, and I wouldn't mind getting my dad some fresh ammo. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back