What makes ammunition better over another?

Kimio

There are many things that contribute to how accurately a gun can shoot. Among the myriad amount of factors there's one that I'm not entirely clear on.

Ammunition. While I know basic quality control affects how well ammunition may perform (under or over charging a round could have some serious ramifications).

That said, what exactly makes "match grade" ammunition superior to others? Is it as simple as the quality of the components or is there extra measures during the actual construction of the rounds that affects how well they'll shoot? Every gun is different of course, but I am curious as to what makes "match ammo" well...match grade if that makes any sense.

There are a lot of variables, but tighter tolerances, uniformity and consistency are probably the main things.

Does every bullet weigh exactly the same. Are they all balanced the same? Is the jacket thickness equal in all dimensions?

Is the powder charge exactly the same in every round? Is the powder itself consistent so that the same exact pressure will occur in every ignition.

Similar consistency in primers, similar consistency in the cases.

Tight tolerances and uniformity take more time, result in more rejected materials, and cost more in materials and time / labor.

Of course, then you have all the R&d put into powders, bullet designs and ballistics.

Last edited:
DMK says it all.

But as an example, and not considering factory ammo, a bullseye shooter
using cast lead bullets will very well weigh each bullet. For a .45 ACP, he might settle only on those that weigh exactly 200 grains. Those below or higher than that might just become plinking ammo.

Next, he'll use the best brass and most consistent from one maker and thoroughly clean it, including seeing that primer pockets are also clean.

HIs powder charges are meticulously weighed as well.

And his seating and crimping/taper crimping is as consistent as possible

Now all he has to worry about is the wobble from him holding the gun in one hand, the wind that day and whether he's feeling really rested and good.

Bench rest rifle shooters follow a similar meticulous process.

Match grade bullets and meticulous loading techniques. Doesn't necessarily mean weighing cases or bullets, but there's also no using progressive presses or powder throwers. Even for hand gun. Although handgun ammo is a lot more forgiving.
Like DMK says, consistency is everything.
The other thing that can matter is the kind of match. An NRA High Power match uses a 600 yard target with a 10 ring of a foot. While an 800 + yard 10 ring is 20".
An IPSC "A" Zone Flapper Target has a 4"x7" opening with 50 meters as minimum distance. An 'A' zone on a hand gun target is 4" x 9" and is closer.

If you include bench rest competition in this thread, virtually "identical" loads are the best. "Identical" cartridges are impossible, but bench rest shooters try to select empty cases that are as close to identical as is practical, i.e., virtually identical dimensions and weight. Several years ago I shot a bench rest shooter's rifle at his private range. The rifle didn't fit me very well. I shot two 3-shot 1/2" groups without any practice. I am NOT a pro and have never owned a bench rest rifle. I wouldn't be surprised if the best bench rest shooters even measured primer pocket depth and diameter for consistency.

That said, what exactly makes "match grade" ammunition superior to others?

The words "Match Grade" on the box. In the case of Federal primers, their "Match Grade" primers have the same components and recipe as the "regular" primers, except they use their most skilled and experienced operators to assemble them. The idea is consistency. Does this have an impact on individual firearms? Maybe, but there are a myriad of variables between individual firearms and just having "Match Grade" on the box does not guarantee Match Grade accuracy, only that the accuracy achieved, will be consistent.

"The words "Match grade" on the box." I have to agree. There is no guarantee the ammunition will shoot better in your rifle. I was at the range one day and a guy next to me was shooting a .22. During a break he told me the scope was moving. He had a good center group, and then the next group was a couple inches to the left, but on center. I saw he had two different brands of ammo sitting there, and pointed that out. He did not think brand difference would move impact right or left, only up and down. He loaded up the first brand he was using and the shots went right back to C/C. He then loaded the other brand and the shots moved over to the left. My take on "Match grade" is it better match your rifle.

Let's see, you have a gun, some ammo and a person holding the gun and pulling the trigger. Which do you think is more likely to be inconsistent round to round?

Back