What makes a good riflescope? And how many $$?

Dogger

Folks, I have seem several threads on TFL where you refer to "Leupolds" on your rifles. I suppose they are the benchmark for scopes? My eyeballs fell out at the local gun shop -- you can pay more for the scope than the rifle! Which begs my question: how much should I pay for a quality scope that will meet all my whitetail deer hunting needs? Hot or cold, wet or dry, snow, ice, rain, sunshine... And what features should I be looking for on the riflescope? From what I can tell, a single piece 1 inch tube, fogproof, waterproof, shockproof 4x32 is all the scope you need for hunting whitetails from 0 to 300 yards. True? I mean, I can buy a waterproof, fogproof Bushnell 4x32 for less than $50. Am I missing something? Thanks!

I have posted on this subject several times and don't want to sound like a broken record but for the sake of an answer I will repeat it.
All lens whether they be Leupold ,Burris or Tasco have the prescriptions figured on the same computer program. They all have the same glass(several different types in each scope) They are ground on the same type computerized machines and all have the same coating so there is very little difference in any make of scope lens and all are better than what the eye can resolve. So the only place a company can cut expenses so that they can sell for less is in the manufacture of the metal parts and the quality control of the assembly. Two places you want good work!
You asked about Leupold. The warrantee expenses are added into the cost of the scope and they give the best warrantee in the business. Life of the scope regardless if you are the original owner or not. Good turn around and if you ever try to get warrantee repair on a 50 dollar import you will wait forever. Generally till it is returned to the manufacturer in the far east. When you think that there is 20% duty and shipping charges added to the cheap scope you can really see what it is worth. Your 50 dollar Bushnell has at least 2 levels of pricing plus duty and shipping so the scope really worth 25 dollars and what would you expect out of a 25 dollar scope. Most people overlook the most important aspect of the cost of a scope. You generally spend more on a hunting trip than you do a scope and if your scope lets you down are out the cost of the hunt and possibly the biggest trophy of you life.

Thanks for educating me, Mr. McMillan. That cleared up a few questions I had about scopes. One of the reasons I know so little about them is I've seen too many fog up, seen the reticles fall, lenses crack, not hold a zero, etc. Admittedly, all of them were lesser scopes (like Tasco, etc.). I just didn't want to put a lot of faith and money into something that wasn't dependable. Now, I'll give buying a Leupold a bit more consideration.

The price of quality optics is a very serious part of properly setting up your rifle. Since my choices are typically for tactical applications, the high end tactical or government type scope models are my first consideration. After many years of trying out many different makes, powers, finishes, mounting systems, and price ranges, I've found that there are only two makes that are consistently on my rifles. Leupold and Springfield Armory.

The Leupold Tactical scopes are very expensive ($750-$1150) but their optics in my opinion are first class, regardless of your application. The 50 and 56mm objective lenses offered, are fantastic in low light conditions, especially when hunting at dawn and dusk. In addition, the matte finish is supurb and eliminates game spooking glare.

Springfield Armory (SA) Government Model scopes are typically designed for applications on military rifles like the M1A etc. However, they offer scopes that are factory calibrated for .223 and .308 that have range finding and a bubble level built into the optics, which I like allot. SA scopes are much cheaper than Leupold Tactical scopes but in my opinion they are my second choice all around optics ($300-$600).

They would be first choice for game hunting as well (except squirrels).

You can try various online gun auction sites like ( www.auctionarms.com ) or ( www.gunbroker.com ) or even ( www.ebay.com ) and do a search for Leupold or SA. You can also sometimes find second hand (sometimes unused) scopes in these makes at local guns shows. I've found gun show deals will help save a minimum of 50% of retail.

You ought to look at the Leupold VariX-II 3x9. They usually run $215-230. This is the best deal on such a quality scope I've been able to find.

IMHO any good rifle that's not wearing a Leupold, isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Hmmm... Color me older and wiser.

Thanks guys, that really made sense and also pointed out some flaws in my logic.

Hope I can return the favor some day...
PS

I'm a die-hard Leupold fan because I've seen so many of the other brands break in the field. Leupold's don't. All of the guides I have worked with in Alaska prefer Leupolds, as well. In fact, a guy from my small town here in Alaska was featured in a Leupold ad because he lost a rifle in a beaver pond and someone else found the rifle over a year later; the rifle was ruined, the Leupold scope was fine.

I used to use a Vari-X II 3x9 on my .30-'06 but found I almost never cranked on the power past 4, so I put on a Vari-X II 1x4, which I love: more compact, lighter, yet still bright and clear. A 4x would be perfect, tho.

I just got through shopping around for a scope and found the best price for my VarixIII at S.W.F.A.Inc.Scopes. I realy love the Leupolds.

Dogger, I think most shooters would agree that you should always buy the best glass you can afford. I would encourage you to look at the better brand names. Leupold and Burris are my favorites. Variables are all the rage right now, but you should seriously look at the fixed power scopes. People seem to think that a rifle with a fixed power is somehow handicapped, not so. Variables are useful and I do use them, they just aren't necessary in all applications. If you are looking for a scope for a whitetail rifle a fixed power in 4x would perform perfectly. When you are shopping, grab a fixed power Leupold or Burris and a variable and look through them both. Fixed power scopes will cost less and allow you or your son to concentrate on shooting, not what power your scope is dialed in to, or what it should be dialed in to. IMHO a fixed power would suit your whitetail hunting needs more than adequately. Shake

I have been the victim of inferior optics and I'm here to tell you buying cheap optics will cost you more in the long run. I'm not going (hold the applause) to run through my multi-year tale of lament but just let me say if I had bought the best quality I could afford initially, I would have saved myself some money and a whole, whole lot of aggrivation.

I would much rather have a Savage 110 with a Leupold scope on top than a Steyer with a (pick any of the lower tier brands) on top.

Hope this helps, Mikey

The best scopes have holes at both ends.

Sorry had to say it. Have heard good things about US optiks (saw the guy at last years gun show hammering it on table very hard, looked really durable,) saw site and don't know if it was hype or not says more resolution than all others?

Have doubts since Leica built their own laser machinery mounted on rail so earths movements wouldnt affect their measurements, this doesnt sound imprecise, as camera people know the Germans are the best at lenses. Schinder, Roddenstock, Zeiss, Sinar-Bron, Leica. Look at the price of a Rollie flex or Sinar P2, the P stands for perfection the original P was made in the 50s and looks almost the same as the 6000.00 dollar camera body (not digital would need additional 44,000 dollars for that) of today, sorry I went on tangent, Leupold was a German.

Back