What loads for Trap/Skeet/Etc?

BrianF-Jax

I'd like to go out and take a whirl at shooting clays. Not sure what kind of shooting they do around here but I'm going to find out...

What kind of ammo is appropriate? Will some 3¼ DR.EQ., 7/8 oz, 7½ shot work?

I'll be shooting with a (drumroll please!) 870 12 gauge.

Thanks as always,

-Brian

It will work but it's at the hotter end of the spectrum. For sporting, skeet and 16 yard trap I use 2-3/4 dram 1-1/8 ounce #8 or 3 dram, 1 ounce loads depending on the day. Longer trap ranges or cold weather shooting and I go to the same loads with #7-1/2 shot.

7/8 ounce at 1200 fps is the choice for my light game gun and it does a good job on the small birds and on practice skeet and sporting.

Good choice on the 870 but learning to shuck that gun on the fast doubles makes the course a little tougher. That's why the over/unders and semis are more common on sporting clay courses.

By and large, I use the AA Heavy Target load, 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot.This is a good hunting load also.
Sometimes I use 8s, and generic,"Promotional" ammo if I catch a sale at a chain store.

Also, I've a neighbor whose a Sporting Clays fan. He's duplicating the AA load in my used hulls.

I usually use 2 3/4 dram 1-1/8 oz # 8 for trap and the same load with # 9 for skeet. Anything over 3 drams is a little much for me after 50 to 100 rounds, but then I am a whimp.
Terry

one other consideration on ammo, keep the shot size smaller than 7 1/2's so you don't have your shot flying out of the club impact area. good way to get a club sued and/or closed. the bigger shot travels farther. most clubs haave 250 -300 yard impact area, 6's etc. easily travel farther than that at optimum barrel angle.

i generally use 1 1/8 8's or 9's at the clay target games, 7 1/2's at the longer ranges. any name brand ammo does for me, i will always shoot remingtons if i can get them, but that's a personal preference.

bigger shots tends to shoot tighter in a given choke, sometimes i use a larger shot size at a game i don't want to fool with changing chokes, but the smaller shot isn't getting the job done.

Well, I've got a few boxes of this ammo, can't hurt to try it.

I've shot a ton of it, its cheap, and has been my learning ammo of sorts.

I figure I'll be at a disadvantage with a pump gun, but I'm not looking to compete and I'm sure I'll have fun.

Should I decide that I like doing it, an auto, side-by-side, or overunder could be in my future.

Thanks again,

-Brian

Shot & shells

My experience has been that #9 shot is used for skeet and #7 1/2 for Trap. In formalized competition you are limited to 3 dram 1 1/8 oz of shot. Some clubs may allow heavier loads but not shot larger than 7 1/2.

Ask first before you shoot if you are not sure. The 3 1/4 dram 7/8 oz loads will probably be ok . BTW those shells must deliver a high muzzle velocity. Usually clays shells deliver betwen 1150 -1200fps. I haven't calculated (actually, I would look it up in Lymans manual:))your shells but they must be in the 1300-1400 fps range. Are they European shells by any chance? Just curious:)

Have fun

Geoff Ross

Nope -- these are walmart special Winchester Super Speeds. Claims 1350fps.

I typed in the specs just as they appear on the box...

-Brian

Back