What kind of law would it take for you to move from your state?

ISC

I feel bad for the California NYC, and Mass guys because their states have such restrictive laws. I know I could never live there no matter what other great things they have going for them.

But those laws didn't develop overnight. It's a slow process, bit by bit until the state has become very anti gun.

What law being passed would be the signal where you would draw the line and leave in your state. How far could you be pushed until you say, "That's it, I'm leaving the city/state".

I'm not going to move over the RKBA as I'm older but if I were younger, I sure would not want to live here in Kalifornia. Every year more and more stupid dumb a$$ laws get passed but since now we have a "Federal/National" Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms liberal states like Kalifornia will just keep making it harder and harder to own/buy firearms and ammunition. I envy most of the states that allow CCW permits.

Let's see....

Three separate lawsuits to take down AB962, the ammunition ban. Two lawsuits striking at CA may issue status. One lawsuit that attacks the safe gun roster. One lawsuit striking out at "sensitive places."

That's just the suits that are active in CA.

Add in the rest of the dog pile, and there is a good chance many of the most restrictive laws in CA and other States will fall within a couple more years.

Just where is this pessimism coming from?

Three separate lawsuits to take down AB962, the ammunition ban. Two lawsuits striking at CA may issue status. One lawsuit that attacks the safe gun roster. One lawsuit striking out at "sensitive places."
Given the seemingly hopeless situation in California, we've seen some of the best-organized and most intelligent pro-2A activism in the country there.

When Californians complain about their gun regulations, the knee-jerk reaction from many is, "well then, move to a better state!" Fortunately, there are quite a few folks there who have chosen to stay and fight.

So far, we haven't seen a state with shall-issue CCW drop it, but if they were considering it, I'd stay and fight. The alternative of just leaving is not only incredibly inconvenient, it allows a bad trend to start, which might be followed by other states.

As much as I would hope that our California brothers and sisters can regain the rights that have been stolen from them, it is an uphill fight. The 9th circuit is notoriously anti gun and willing to reinterpret legislation and precedent to suit their leftist agendas. Any overturning of bad laws or rulings will take a long time to work its way to the SCOTUS, and the composition of that body is subject to change with very little notice.

Kagen has been quoted as saying that she sees nothing wrong about overturning precedent and the recent victories (won by a 5-4 margin) couls easily turn into 4-5 losses with just one change in SCOTUS makeup.

Personally, while repeal of Florida's CCW law would be a blow, it would take something along the lines of a FID law, 30 day wait, one gun a month, magazine capacity restrictions, or "assault weapon ban" for me to start thinking about moving.

As precious as my gun rights are to me, an even bigger factor would be that 2hd Amendment rights are a bellweather. Once compromised, other freedoms quickly follow.

Restrictive state laws

I was born and raised in California, My family lives here, My grown daughter lives here, My wife's and my my own aging parents live here and my career is here. My passion is whitewater kayaking and although other states have good rivers there is no better state than California for year round whitewater.
Sure I wish we had less restrictive gun laws, I often carry illegally and pray that I never need to use it but that is not enough to get me to move to another state, yet.
Just last evening my wife and I were fishing in the sierra foothills, lots of meth heads these days. I had my Colt Commander on my hip, under an un-tucked T shirt. Although nothing happened it was comforting to have it giving a few of the locals that were there after sunset, prime fishing time.
I've considered Idaho, maybe when our parents are gone.

Fortunately, there are quite a few folks there who have chosen to stay and fight.

As long as this is the USA, I'll not move from any place I choose to live and will continue to own guns.

I live in Florida...It would take an appeal of shall issue CCW's

IMO, as US citizens, its our duty to fight for our rights rather then move.

I was very glad Ohio passed the ccw laws we did. It made a legal citizen out of me. Been ccw'ing for the past 25yrs(long before our current ccw laws) and will continue whatever the cost. It's my right, and worth fighting for.

No offense but the 2nd is not a bellweather for other rights. Its constituents and the constituents for other rights are quite at odds with each other.

That's the just the reality of politics (horrors).

I disagree Glenn. I see every place where 2nd amendment rights are curtailed to be locations where new rights are invinted that infringe on my right to live in a setting where a traditional lifestyle is possible.

For instance, I don't think that recognizing someon's right to burn a flag is protecting the 1st amendment, I see that as an assault on my identity and infringement of my right to not have to have the things I cherish and love disrespectfully destroyed.

It's a difference in perspective from that of a "progressive", but I am not a progressive. I am a liberal (root word liberty), as in a Jeffersonian, 18th century liberal.

It will be a squeeze play, Kalifornia on the west coast, near commie states like Massachusets on the east, then others. Voters in those areas need to get smart and reverse the movement.
To answer the question is hard, moving is a serious matter. And no guarantee someplace else would be better for long.

Can't say I'd move just because of gun laws. But if I had already planned on moving, I'd definitely look into states with better gun laws. Minnesota isn't that bad, but my home state of Indiana is much better and it's still a midwestern state. Or Arizona, because of their gun laws, and the classic car-friendly weather.

Massachusetts will be especially interesting. Surprisingly, Massachusetts in one of the very few (maybe the only) states that have a RKBA in their state constitution where the RKBA is clearly held (by the express language of the state constitution itself) to be a collective right for the defense of the state. All of a sudden, as a result of Heller and McDonald, Massachusetts has to deal with the RKBA being an individual right, unrelated to the defense of the state.

"Good morning, this is your wake-up call."

I think this thread is going to be political and contentious quite easily. Specifics will be mentioned - I already see it happening.

So, if we go liberal / conservative and specific politicians - it's going to be closed.

My point is that the 2nd isn't the only freedom.

I left San Francisco permanenetly in 1970 when the dear Dianne Feinstein was mayor. he police had unwritten carte blache to hassle gun owners with without fear I guess because they sure as hell hassled me. :mad: Every timeI loaded my car up to go to the range, the cops would be there in a New York minute because some nosy busybody who had nothing better to do than sit in a window and spy on her neighbors would call the cops. :mad:
When my then girl friend decided to move to Reno Nevada, I said to hell with San Francisco, I'm gone. Was it worth the move? I think so. FWIW that "girl friend" has been my wife for the last 40 years. Yeah, it was well worth the move.
Now that all my family members are all dead, there's no reason for me to ever go back.
Paul B.

AZ just went to Constitutional Carry, there would have to be a LOT of laws repealed to get us to move, most likely to Alaska.

I left Maryland in 1995 for precisely that reason, and though my family still lives there, I'll never even consider moving back until the official attitude toward and laws regulating firearms and firearms owners change considerably for the better. I'll let others "fight the good fight" if they want - I prefer to vote with my feet and wallet and live in places where gun ownership is encouraged, and not contribute my tax dollars to states in which oppressive firearms laws are in place.

Back